Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Shut down hangs (XP Pro/ SP 1)

The system usually (not always) hangs when I attempt to restart or shut down. It proceeds through "saving my settings" but stops/hangs at the "windows is shutting down" phase. I am running XP Pro , SP 1, Office XP Pro with Outlook as my mail program. I have an AMD XP 2200 (1.8 GHz), 512MB DDR 266 RAM.

Any insight to what my be the problem or require repair will be most appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Shut down hangs (XP Pro/ SP 1)

Windows 98 was so useless when it came to shutdowns that there were at least a half dozen MSKB articles and a huge web FAQ maintained by an ex-Microsoft employee. But I digress. Windows 2000 and XP are way better, but apparently not perfect.

What happens if you manually shut down as many programs as possible before using Shut Down?
    Do you ever get messages that programs have to be terminated?
    Do you have mapped network drives?
    Are you running a good firewall?
    Scanned for trojans?

Banned Member
    Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks

I had the same problem and could fix it with a Bios Update.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Does it hang and then shut down or does it finally shut down and restart. I'd use these:

Kelly's XP A-Z under "S" for Shutdown" Links to her regedits in Tweaks Section

Power Off or Reboot After Shutdown (Line 76)
    Auto End Tasks and Wait to Kill Timeout for Shutdown (Line 76)

Also see:

WINDOWS XP SHUTDOWN & RESTART TROUBLESHOOTING

hth,

SMBP

Lounger
    Thanks

Just curious is anyone else has seen this version of the XP shut down problem. I've had XP on a 2.2Ghz system for about 15 months and never had a shut down problem. This week I went to Windows Update and it applied 6 patches. Since I've been doing WU for quite some time, and never had a problem, I've grown careless, and I just let it apply all. After install there was no immediate indication of any problem but next time I shut down, XP hung. One time didn't faze me. But I soon discovered that I can't shut down.

My 1st thought was to simply uninstall the patches. After all, that's why there are in the Software Uninstall AP, right? Well the lst 2 uninstals went fine. The next one though popped up a warning stating that removing this patch may affect these patches and listed 22 patches. Whoa!. I tried skipping that one and doing the next one. Same thing for that one to. It would affect like 15 patches. This is obviously not the way.

So before I get serious and "Restore" back to say early last week, requiring me to loose several newly installed APs, I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this problem?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

There was a glitch in XP that caused shut down hangs but didn't eliminate it that was supposedly addressed in SP1 referenced in the KB CBD mentioned above. The only problem is, many people have had shutdown hangs with or without it for whatever reasons. You might take a look at this, and see if you get any ideas:

Win XP Shutdown Troubleshooting

I think you can do two things that will work. One you can go to the registry hotfix keys and start uninstalling these hotfixes one by one. These are the possible locations:

Hive: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    Key: SOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionHotfix

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftUpdatesWindows XPSP1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftUpdatesWindows 2000SPX where X could be 1-4

The other alternative is to use System Restore, then reinstall each hotfix, but try shutting down after each one--maybe give each one 2 or 3 days use to see if no other problems crop up.

SMBP

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Which was you say was the more important:
    Having security HotFixes on your system and avoid being hacked or otherwise inconvenienced
    or
    Being able to shut down automatically without having to press the power button.

I'd really like both, but if asked to choose I know which one I'd go for!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Well--of course. But you ought to be able to workaround or stop a hang--when it happens to you as you know it's very annoying. I've had it happen 2 or three times and found ways to stop it or lucked out because I can't remember exactly what I did, and I'm pretty sure I don't know why it happened when it did. And this one wasn't a hang as I understand it John--he couldn't shut down without using the power button.

SMBP

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

SMBP

I have a similar but intermittent problem, where the message is "Saving your settings", at which point I move the mouse pointer slowly around the screen and after about ten seconds the pointer freezes BUT the screen does not blank and the PC does not power off (both these happen within five or so seconds IF it's going to shut down normally). The only way to power off is to press the power button. I've gone though all the links you've given in previous messages, but nothing seems to work/fit! I'm still investigating...
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Lounger
    Thanks

I'm still pondering how to fix this on my PC. As to uninstalling the patches as you suggest, at MS support an article on Install and Deploy of Hotfixes they write "Note: You cannot remove hotfixes that were installed by means of the combination installation method." So, since I did install 6 fixes using Windows Update (at least one was a wrap-up of 22 fixes) I figure this applies here and removing these is impossible. Also, if I delete entries from the Registry, it won't make any changes to any other files like DLL etc that were patched. I don't think that way will resolve anything.

So it looks like my choice is the Restore first. (or worse case complete reinstall of XP) I can uninstall APs I recently installed, but before I Restore, I need to do some huge backups. Seems the XP settings for Restore are back to "monitor ALL drives." I have 2 platters divided into 9 partitions. 3 partitions on the 2nd spindle are ONLY backups of 3 on the 1st spindle. (an automatic function) I'm a little concerned that the restore may do something unexpected to one of those. (My data) I've got O'Reilly's XP Annoyances and although it doesn't say it will affect any data, it doesn't say it won't!!!! So to be safe I've got to burn some CDs first. Does anyone know for sure the a Restore will not affect any data files on other platters?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That`s strange. I`ve just started having problems with Shutdown too but of a different nature. When my computer comes out of hibernation and I try to select 1 single item it will only select a block of at least six items, and some other selecting options just don`t work at all. When this first happened I decided to do a reboot selecting " Turn off Computer" and then "Restart". Nothing happened.Tried a few times and eventually I had to shut down completely (which it did) and then bootup again. This fixed the problem but I now have the selecting and restart problem every time after hibernation. I have been looking around but can`t find out anything. It is no great problem.I can live with it . I only posted as a few other people seem to be having shutdown problems just now.
    Elaine

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I think deleting their registry entries at those keys would get it done. I'm not sure that's what they meant there. You mean you used a 22 wrap of the hotfixes--a roll-up? I'd still try it. BTW they sent out a revision of the latest October updates.

I'm not sure what you mean "Seems the XP settings for Restore are back to "monitor ALL drives." I'd sure like to know. Don't you have a single restore point to point to before the hotfixes were installed?

System restore doesn't monitor your data. One of the most common real estate hogs on a machine is a drive someone has set aside for data, and when you check Sys Restore they have it taking up space monitoring that drive--complete waste. You may not be doing this, but system restore does not track or impact data. Plenty of KB's and articles on it say that.

In his excellent for me "must have" book, David Karp doesn't really address data and system restore at all in his write-up on pages 256-257. I agree with him Sys Restore isn't the best practices way to uninstall, but hey? And his ominous statement that "When the intention is to solve problems without user interaction system restore can cause serious problems" expresses a principle that is of course correct, that it shouldn't be used as a "shot-gun" I think you need it here using an appropriate restore point. I have an aversion to some one waving a serious problems caveat without buttressing it precisely.

I'd give the registry key for a particular hotfix a shot--and see if you hit the end objective of stopping the offensive hang--if not try a system restore point.

A pain in the butt but if you get backed up, you'll have it done and it's a great insurance policy no one can take away. I like Retrospect as an easy gui interface but we have all kinds of backup threads from people wanting tailored backups at Software finds.

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

John--

From what I have been able to tell, intermittently a little bit and I mean a few seconds max of pause at the Saving Your Settings button is normal. When it's working as it is now, my reboot, (I rarely ever shut off) is very quick and the boot up looks like it's being shoved through a door--very fast--nearly under 20 seconds. I'm sure you have the Power Options Advanced tab set the way you want it.

If you're wanting to power off, there are regedits and shortcuts to make a button you've probably seen--may help you've probably seen:

One Click Shutdown Shortcut

Rt. Click>New>Shortcut>Enter SHUTDOWN -s -t 01 into the shortcut path in an NT OS(or "C:windowsrundll.exe user.exe,exitwindows" in Win 9X)>Next>Finish.

Power Off After Shutdown

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVers...

Create a new string value, or modify the existing value, called PowerdownAfterShutdown and set it to "1" to power off the computer at shutdown, or "0" to reboot. Value Data: (0 = default, 1 = power down) Restart. This feature must be supported by the computer's BIOS.

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Elaine--

Take a look at the Advance Tab of Power Options in the Control Panel--do you have that pull-down set where you want?

You could also try checking the reg key setting in terms of the edit I just posted.

SMBP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast