5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Rules for web data

Hello loungers
    I am aware that I still have not fully answered my helpers from the 'Images in web pages' posting; that's because we still can't get the darn stuff to work.
    Trying to upload an updated text page and some photos resulted in a) text page apparently being uploaded without error, but when the web site was tested, the OLD page was displayed and [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] photo uploads were errored.
    Asking around yielded the info that file names have to be in lower case - if one tests the web on a PC it all works, but pages with upper case in their file names either upload and then are 'not found' and photos are error at upload time.
    Again, still waiting for the chairman to try pages and photos with revised names, but the point of the posting is to ask if there are a set of rules for html files and photos which have to be obeyed in order for them to work on the server.
    We do not use Front Page to maintain the files.
    TIA
    Silverback

Thanks

Re: Rules for web data

Regarding case sensitivity, Linux and other *nix operating systems allow identical file names if the case of any character is different. Thus, these are three different pages:

index.html
    Index.html
    INDEX.HTML

To avoid going insane, it is best to use all lower case for file and folder names on web servers (and the development box), and no spaces in the names (*nix doesn't like spaces).

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Rules for web data

Thanks Jefferson.
    I converted all the file names to lower case and removed all spaces, too. (I shall stick to the old '8.3' format for file names in future). Once this was done, everything uploaded successfully. There is another posting from me about web page content in which I give the URL of the site.

Thanks for you help, again.
    Silverback