New Lounger
    Thanks

Word to PDF (Word 2000/XP - Adobe Writer 4/5)

When I convert a Word document to PDF using PDFMaker/Writer, it captures the Word headings as bookmarks, but not the numbers associated with the headings (i.e. 2, 2.1, 2.1.1, etc). Except for some Word files it **does** capture the numbers (go figure). How can I ensure the numbers are there so I don't have to edit the bookmarks?

Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word to PDF (Word 2000/XP - Adobe Writer 4/5)

If the lounge search function was working I could point you to the thread where this was discussed very recently.

You can use the VBA command
    ActiveDocument.ConvertNumbersToText
    to convert all numbered lists in the document to ordinary text. The VBA help for this function says:

<hr>The ConvertNumbersToText method is useful if you want to work with a document in another application and that application doesn't recognize list formatting or LISTNUM fields. After you've converted list numbers to text, you can no longer manipulate them in a list.<hr>
    So make sure that you save a copy of the original before you do this and don't save the converted document back over the top of the original unless you want to permanently fix all the numbered lists in the document.

If you're not familiar with VBA then you can use these commands
    <UL><LI>Alt-F11
    <LI>Control-G
    <LI>type <font color=blue>ActiveDocument.ConvertNumbersToText</font color=blue> in the immediate window and follow it with an <enter>[/list]StuartR

Thanks

Where it does work, do you see any difference? For example, do those use AUTONUM fields rather than regular automatic numbering?

Here is the thread I believe Stuart was referring to. (I get the daily digest of this board, so I can search those in Outlook.)

Star Lounger
    Blue Mountains, New South Wales, Australia
    Thanks

I have found the automatic number features of WORD the worst single feature of the software. Not the least of this rotten product is the conversion with PDFmaker. I studiously convert auto numbers to manual wuth VIEW > OUTLINE as a workaround.

Some related problems are that if you have a manual para # then a tab, PDFmaker does not convert the tab to a space. Thus you need to make sure there is a space between the para number and the text, otherwise the PDF bookmarks are dreadful. Where I still need the tabs for hanging indents in the text, I put the para #, a space then the tab.