5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Rules to sort lounge messages into folder (OE 6 (SP1))

Hello,

Is there any rule I can create to automatically sort messages from the Lounge into a specific folder? If anyone replies to this message the reply will come to my inbox. I tried making a rule from a previously received lounge message but it gives my own email address as the source. How can I pick up that the message has come via the Lounge. Hope this makes sense,

Chris (Hunt)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Rules to sort lounge messages into folder (OE 6 (SP1))

Chris--

I think reading these will do it for you--if not holler. Also see additional rules for Sent Items.

Complex Rules: Newsletters Tomsterdam

Sorting Newsletter Messages

"Apply this rule after the message arrives
    Where the From line contains 'Woody's' or 'newsletter@newscientist' or 'Nieuwsbrieven' or 'PC Newsletter' or 'Expatica.com'
    or Where the Subject line contains 'advocate.com' or 'The Scientist' or 'Neat Net Tricks' or 'Slashdot' or 'Reg Headlines' or 'Nieuwsbrief'
    or Where the To line contains 'project-censored'
    Move it to the Newsletters folder
    and Stop processing more rules

Here we have a single rule with many conditions designed to capture."

SMBP

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for replying. I'm hollering! There seems to be a problem, perhaps a limitation of Outlook Express itself. If I look at a message received from the lounge in the from line it is listed as LoungeAdmin. Which is fine. However, if I try to create a rule from such a message it lists the message as coming from myself, ie my own email address. If I change the from line to read LoungeAdmin and run the rule it doesn't find the message. If I leave the from line with my own email address then it will pick up all messages received with that address and dump them in the same folder. In other words I can't make a rule to filter messages from different message boards into different folders.

I have rules for filtering messages from different people and different groups into different folders. My problem here is with notification of replies to my messages to message boards. I guess I could use a different email address for different message boards but that seems laborious.Perhaps this is outside the capabilities of Outlook Express. I do wonder, though, why the From line shows LoungeAdmin but I can't make a rule and have this picked up.

Chris

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

You obviously shouldn't have to do that--I'll look specifically and in a day or so someone should be able to post how.

SMBP

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Rules to sort lounge messages into folder (OE

Hve you tried checking "Where the Subject contains specific words" and then adding "Rply to your post: " and "Daily Archive of "?
    Gre

Lounger
    Thanks

That is what I do.

Also, I have a Lounge Matters Folder and several folders within that folder (including one for replies) so that, in case I don't get to these for a few days (like this last week--that is why I did not respond to original question), the Lounge Matters emails are sorted. I have a separate rule for each Board's messages. It took a little bit to create all the rules, but it is well worth it!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for th replies, I just noticed them. I do use "Where the Subject contains specific words". The problem is that more than one reply from different sources uses the same subject line. I could filter them into a separate folder and then sort by hand but I'd really like to know how to solve the "From" problem. I don't understand why Outlook Express doesn't notice the email has come via LoungeAdmin. I agree with RobinCB message rules are well worth it - when they work!

Chris

Lounger
    Thanks

Chris,

I get daily archive emails from just a handful of the Boards, but I have successfully set up the rules for all but one Board's archives. I use Rules for Mail (not News Rules). The only Board I have a problem with is Words From On High. I also get email from the Word Board and have not successfully been able to get the Words From On High emails to go anywhere except where the Word Board's emails are directed to. I have changed the order of the rules and changed what is used for the "if" portion of the rule with no luck. I have pretty much given up and move them manually since they don't come often. But, if anyone has any ideas on how to get OE6's Mail Rules to differentiate between email from the Word and the Words From On High Boards, I'd be thankful for your input.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Have you tried putting a blank space after "Word" for the Word Board?
    Gre

Lounger
    Thanks

I think I tried that already, but tried it again just now since I could not remember the result.
    Doesn't work because spaces at the end are deleted.
    Thanks anyway.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I must admit that I'm surprised to read your posts, because I do this sort of thing all the time with OE rules and I never have a problem - and I have a set of rules to deal with the various Lounge emails too!
    <UL><LI>If you put 'Where From field contains Loungeadmin' it will find emails with a display name of Loungeadmin. You do have to type 'Loungeadmin' in yourself, though.
    <LI>If you put 'stop processing more rules' (one of the actions options) at the end of your rules, an email affected by this rule will not be touched by further rules, and therefore
    <LI>If you have the 'Words on High' rule (ie with 'where subject field contains Daily archive of Words from on High') first, the later one with just 'subject field contains Daily archive of Word' will only affect ones that don't fit the earlier one.[/list]The only possibility I can see that would cause your problem is if you are forgetting to put the 'Stop processing more rules' option at the end of the earlier rule?

PS If the 'from' field bit is really causing a problem, just leave it out - after all, what's the likelihood of someone else sending you an email with a subject line of "Daily archive of Words From on High"?!
    Beryl M

Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you!
    I have now checked that option and tested it and it works.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!