2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Direct Play Voice Setup - Huh? Microphone prob. (Win XP Pro)

Just installed Win XP Pro last week. Didn't change my sound card, it's a SoundBlaster Live! Value. I updated the drivers for Win XP for this. I do voice recording with a microphone and it records, but I have to turn up my volume on my external speakers real hight to hear anything. I've checked my Volume controls and made sure all were turned up. I went into Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, Voice tab, Test Hardware button. It went through but I get an error at the end.

An error occured during Direct Play Voice Setup. 0x800004005

I'm guessing the two problems are related?

Thanks.
    sarah

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Direct Play Voice Setup - Huh? Microphone prob. (Win XP Pro)

Take a look at MSKB 282882. I don't know if it's relevant, since the error message is slightly different, but who knows...

Thanks

Re: Direct Play Voice Setup - Huh? Microphone prob. (Win XP Pro)

Sarah,

Did you also go to Sounds & Audio Properties>Sound recording>Volume, Microphone>advanced>other controls and checked Microphone boost & tone controls?
    Some small electret mics require power to their elements, in order to properly pickup sound. Most have some place to check a box in order to supply that power.

Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!