justme417

Excel - 2 Workbooks

<font face="Georgia">I am trying to help a fellow employee, she somehow wound up with what appears to be two versions of a workbook that open and are updated simultaneously. Unfortunately she has absolutely no idea of how this happened. The names are like workbook.xls:1 and workbook.xls:2 -- Using Excel 97 -- already checked officexlstart, not an issue. Is this some type of versioning. Our dilemma is -- how does one delete one of these, what causes this to happen and where is there documentation regarding this? Any help will be greatly appreciated.</font face=georgia>

<font color=4682b4>Thanks so much,
    JustMe</font color=4682b4>

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Excel - 2 Workbooks

This situation occurs when someone chooses Window / New Window on the menu bar. A second view of the workbook is made and the (1) and (2) suffixes are generated. If the workbook is closed with both windows active, you'll get the situation you have. Just open the workbook, choose one of the two names in the Window list and close that view by clicking the 'X' in the upper right of the that window -- NOT the one in system bar for Excel itself. The easiest way is to go to Window / Arrange. Choose Horizontal and then you'll see both windows with their respective close buttons. Close one copy then when you close the other, it should remain 'single'.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,

You'll get this clicking on "window" then "new window". If you close one by clciking on the worksheet's close button, it will close the window and leave you with the single worksheet
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

MROSSBERG

Hi, I am having the same trouble but I tried closing the window and when I reopen it it still appears. Please advise. Thanks

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Close the Worksheet, not the window/workbook.
    Legare Coleman