Star Lounger
    Thanks

PLZ HELP IVE LOST MY OS AND I CANT INSTALL A NEW O (Windows xp SP1 Home)

I tried to start my computer up to day and it came up with a message saying registry error windows has shut down down to prevent damage to files stored on hardisk i've tried using the windows repare on my windows disk but it came up with the same message again and when i tried installing it as a new install the message arrived again. i managed to get DOS running thinking i would be able to format the drive but it says the drive dose not support formating. I think it might have something to do with a new digital camra i've installed is there a way of running system restore without loading window (plus safe mode dosent work!!!) (nothing works) :-(

Any help would be much appreciated.
    thnks Dave

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: PLZ HELP IVE LOST MY OS AND I CANT INSTALL A NEW O (Windows xp SP1 Hom

First I'd like to try something easy if it works. System Restore using the F8 key to the Windows Advanced Options Menu, selecting Safe Mode With A Command Prompt. Give it a shot. Here's some direction:

304449: HOW TO: Start the System Restore Tool from a Command Prompt in Windows XP

There are screenshots and detailed directions if you hit the links here and the additional Posts and links it leads you to.

Post 302305

Worry about the detailed cause later when you're up in Windows and can read from Event Viewer. May be a hardware problem with the camera or drivers. Drivers are the most common causes of significant Windows crashes around 70-75% of the time according to lab studies.

SMBP

Banned Member
    Thanks

You can also from F8 choose " Last Known Good Configuration" and see what happens.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

LKG would be better if it worked a lot more often and it has the limitation of its snapshot being at last boot which can be a long time for some of us. Absolutely it's on the menu whatever works to get you up to Windows and these are options I would hit first because they are quick and easy and you don't have to grab other disks.

SMBP