Thread: Win2K Backups

Thanks

Win2K Backups

I've been pretty busy the last couple days -- re-installing my W2K and the associated router and wireless network card files.

Most of us have been there I'm sure. But I try, as I'm sure you also have done, to find ways to circumvent repeat events. and THERE lies the story/problem/cvetch:

I run a MS MN700 router and MN730 network card(s). When they are functioning, it's great, but... the file(s) that load the network software, (shortcut is "C:WINNTInstaller{2C84BB95-1DB9-4AC4-8750-F979BBCDD859}_18be6784.exe" -- sans quotes) kept crashing, with a message during startup that the said file had caused an error, and was being terminated.

First I had to go back to a Norton Ghost image and then re-install any tempermental software... then I got away with just restoring the files from a backup, but then that too failed. In frustration I called MS (3 times yesterday) with the following question:

I understand software is tempermental... so how can/should I back up my system once I get it all set up the way I want it?

And the responded?

".... Microsoft does not support any type of imaging for backup purposes, as the registry integrity cannot be warranted. And the only backup sofftware we do support is MS Backup that comes with Win2K..."

and I said:

"But MS Backup doesn't backup to tape or CD... only floppies or a network. So what I am hearing is that there is NO supported way for a private user to back up Win2K."

MS:

That is correct."

That's not only rotten, but my instincts tell me that it ain't exactly so....

Any inputs or help here?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Win2K Backups

Win2K was designed for commercial use. At the time of its release, the private users targeted product was Windows Me. Unfortunately, I cannot comment on the other issues.
    Gre

Thanks

unkamunka:

So I'll give 'em that one -- "...designed for commercial use..." -- but that would / should mean even more that a backup / restore ought to be "EXACT" --

I find it extremely hard to believe that companies of any size / stature would use an operating system that you couldn't restore "to the tick"...

Regards,
    Chuck
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

We're starting to go into all sorts of corporate decision routines that took place in Redmond starting 1994 or 1995 - based on how the computer market was operating at that time. Microsoft was moving from Windows 3x to Windows 4.0 (aka Win95 & NT4). Netscape was THE browser. Pentium chips were somewhere over on the horizon. The bottom line is that the private user was not envisioned to be as sophisticated as you (which was also why Win9x licences were always cheaper than NT4/2K).
    Gre