New Lounger
    Thanks

Seq field in headers? (Word 97 sr2)

I have a library of documents that I can select and insert at the end of a specification document, after a page / section break. Each of the additional, inserted, documents have a {seq } field in them, so I can keep track of how many have been added. I'd really like to have these { seq } fields in the header - but Word doesn't allow it. n.b. some of the additional inserted documents are more than one page long, but they need to have the same number on each page.

Is there a way round this?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Seq field in headers? (Word 97 sr2)

You could put a single SEQ field in the body of each of the documents to be inserted. Create a style for them (can be a character style) and make sure the SEQ fields are the only element in the document with that style. Then use the styleref field in the header: {StyleRef "SeqStyle"}.
    Hope this helps,

New Lounger
    Thanks

or put a hidden {seq "" h} field at the start of the document, and use {seq "" c} in the header.

Works for me : )

ChrisP

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Phil, thanks Chris.

Spent a while testing out your suggestion Phil, and that works well. Then saw Chris's reply, and that's even simpler. Can't believe I didn't try it myself. Assumed that as the { seq "" } field on its own wouldn't work, then sticking a c switch on the end wouldn't make any difference. Any explanations?

As a supplementary question, is there a decent way of preventing people from deleting fields, like the { seq "" h } field that I will use?

New Lounger
    Thanks

I assume the c works because it is, in effect, only a reference to the last seq field.

As for preventing deletion, can't answer that one, sorry.

ChrisP

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I like Chris' method, too. To discourage (not actually prevent) deletion, you could create a frame outside the margin & put the SEQ field inside. Then you could select no borders for the frame & it would be invisisble. Next, select the field & the paragraph mark that follows it & make it 1 point in size & change the font color to white (for the field). It will now be all but invisible. Unless your user started clicking outside the margin, it should remain safe.

Alternatively, you could password protect the document for forms & put the SEQ field in a protected section. However, even in the non-protected sections, you lost the ability to use certain functions, so this has disadvantages.
    Hope this helps,