2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Many documents with hyperlinks > one PDF (2000)

I think I've seen this discussed here before, but...

I need to create one PDF from multiple documents. Each document will have hyperlinks to locations within that document and to locations in other documents. For example, the document for Chapter 2 may link to a heading in Chapter 3.

I know that I can create individual PDFs and merge them together in Acrobat, but how do I handle the hyperlinks? Is there some existing way to do this? Do I need to use a third-party tool?

Ideally, it would be great to generate this "book-level" PDF (with hyperlinks) with one click. Any suggestions? Are there other Lounge-like places that specialize in PDFs?

Thanks!
    Bob
    Writing Consultant / Word Template Designer
    Words Connect

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Many documents with hyperlinks > one PDF (2000)

When I had to do this, I added the inter-document links manually using Acrobat.

StuartR

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am hoping that there is some tool or workaround that can do them automatically. I am working on a template for a client, and they want this functionality (since they have it in FrameMaker).

I've been experimenting with how PDFMaker handles cross-document links (links from one PDF file to another or from a PDF file to a Word file). I think perhaps there is a way to create the links in Word, anticipating that they'll be present in the merged PDF. I haven't quite figured it all out yet.

Thanks,
    Bob
    Writing Consultant / Word Template Designer
    Words Connect

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Another option that will not be popular with my fellow loungers.

You could create a word master document, import copies of all your separate files and add the cross references in word. So long as you do this after all other edits and work with copies of your word documents it should be fairly safe.

StuartR