Lounger
    Thanks

ISAM SEEK Problem (2000)

I made an update query that updates several fields in a table. I run the query from a form, and I set a criteria in the query so that it would only update the record that is currently chosen in a combo field on the from. The SQL statement is:

UPDATE tblInterns SET tblInterns.IntLnameF = [LName] & ", " & [FName], tblInterns.IntFnameF = [FName] & " " & [LName], tblInterns.Email = [Alias] & "@students.scuhs.edu", tblInterns.[Remote User] = [Alias]
    WHERE (((tblInterns.InternID)=[Forms]![fpriInterns]![cboIntern]));

After I ran the query for the first time the characters in all the completed fields in the current record changed in to another language font (looks like Chinese to me). When I try to fix the fields I get an error message "The Search Key was not found in any record". I also get the same message when I try deleting the record.

The help item associated with that error message says "This error occurs when an ISAM SEEK is being executed and there are no matching values in the index." The help for ISAM SEEK says it's a way to update records from multiple linked tables, but my query is based on only one table.

What did I do wrong and how do I get out of it?

Thanks, Kevin

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ISAM SEEK Problem (2000)

I don't know how this relates to your update query, but the error message you get means that your table is corrupt.

1. If you haven't changed much since you last made a backup copy of the database, it might be a good idea to use the backup, after checking that it isn't corrupt.

If that isn't feasible, make a backup copy of the problem database now, so that you can experiment freely.

2. Select Tools | Database Utilities | Compact and Repair Database. If you get an error message, see if a MSysCompactError table has been created. If so, it contains information about the corruption, and the corrupt values will have been replaced by a series of # characters.

3. If this doesn't help, download the JetComp utility from ACC2000: Jet Compact Utility Available in Download Center. It sometimes can repair databases that the internal Compact and Repair can't handle.

4. It that doesn't help either, create a new blank table and import all objects except the corrupt table. Then copy the structure of the problem table (not the entire table) to the new database, and try to copy all records before the corrupt one, then all records after the corrupt one.

Lounger
    Thanks

That Jet Compact utility is a lifesaver - not only did it allow me to delete the corrupt record, it reduced the size of my database by half!

Thanks,

Kev

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm glad it worked. It is a good idea to run the internal Compact and Repair regularly, this will keep your database trim (if you like, you can set Compact on Close in the General tab of Tools | Options...)