2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Recording (pp2002)

Good evening

in post 303452 I asked how to combine a background music track to compliment a narration, Echo Swinford kindly replied but I am still having trouble. I have recorded to C the music that I wish to play but when I try to find it to play in the presentation it is there but won't download. It was suggested that I record it as an mp3 but I do not know what that is, I have recorded it as a .wav file.

Any suggestions please

Thanks

Steve

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Recording (pp2002)

Hi, Steve, me again. <g>

What do you mean the sound is there but "won't download"? Can you clarify?

It may be that your sound card can't play two WAV files at once. Your narrations are probably WAV files, so you may need to make that background WAV and MP3, as you mentioned below.

What you'd do is grab some sound editing software, open the WAV file, and save it or export it as an MP3. Googling Sound Edit Software turns up a bunch of options. I use Sonic Foundry's little brother to Sound Forge, but I've heard good things about Cool Edit and GoldWave. There are lots of shareware sound editors as well. Maybe others here will suggest their favorites.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,

I have not even worried about the voice part yet so that rules out the conflict of 2 events on the sound card. I have downloaded a background track to my HD and independentlyof the CD can open it and play it in Windows Media Player and another jukebox player that I have. When I go to PP and select Slide show, Movies and sounds I can search around and find the track in the explore pane but I cannot get it into PP.

Hope that clarifies

Thanks

Steve

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Did you mean Insert/Movies and Sounds/Sound from File? When you use that, you can see the track, but it won't insert into PPT, is that correct? What happens when you select the sound file and click OK?

Now, remember, Insert/Movies and Sounds/Sound from File is what you'd do if the sound file is on your harddrive. But if you're trying to insert the music directly from an audio CD, you'd use Insert/Movies and Sounds/Play CD Audio Track.

Finally, how did you get the sound file from the audio CD onto your harddrive? And how did you go about making it a WAV file? Also, which version of Windows are you using? You'll probably want to check that WAV in the MCI Media Player, not in Windows Media Player, but how you do that depends on which version of Windows you're using.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Echo

I have now managed to find my piece of music, my inexperience had caused me to 'hide' it somewhere on the hd. I have now inserted it and can make it play when the presentation starts, but how would I embed that into the presentation, the MS help files don't seem to offer up much except that an embedded file stays as part of the presentation but not how.

Another slight problem that you may be able to help me with is slide transition. Before the music file was added it ran OK, I now have it set for 50 seconds but it does not go on to slide 2, any ideas?

Thanks

Steve

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Great,

That works exactly how I wanted it.

Steve

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Echo:

I'm getting a 404 error on your 'sound across slides' link. Do you have an alternative URL I could try please?

Tony.
    Regards,

Tony
    [s] [/s]
    www.SylviArtist.com

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you hover your mouse over the link provided by Echo, you will see that an extra "l" slipped in before "http". This is the correct link: http://www.rdpslides.com/pptfaq/FAQ00047.htm.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans:

Many thanks. How sharp-eyed are you, then!!

Tony.
    Regards,

Tony
    [s] [/s]
    www.SylviArtist.com

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans. I sure messed that up!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by Echo Swinford on 11-Nov-03 02:35. fixed link)</P>Glad to hear you found your sound file, Steve.

As for embedding that sound, the only multimedia which can be embedded into PPT is a WAV sound. (Well, SWF files can be by using a control, but that's way off the subject here). You'd need to convert your sound to WAV and reinsert it in order to embed the sound.

However, there are limitations even with that method. Before inserting the WAV into PPT, first go to Tools/Options and put 50000 in the box for "link sound files greater than XXX kb." That will then embed any WAV files smaller than 50MB. If the WAV files are larger than the setting you have in that option when you insert the WAV files, they will be linked regardless.

You also want to put the WAV files in the same folder with your presentation before you insert them into the presentation. That helps create pathless links, which is what you'll need if you're planning to move the presentation to another computer.

Regarding the transition, I suspect you need to read up on the sound across slides information on the PPT FAQ.