New Lounger
    Thanks

Understanding Percent Complete (2000)

I am setting up a project which has 3 outline levels. The detail tasks represent stages of development of chapters of a book, so they roll up to a summary task which represents the progress of the chapter as a whole. There are a number of chapters which each roll up to the top level summary of the book as a whole.

At the detail task level, time is a good measure of progress for the way we operate, so when our second level task is 50% complete that is reflected sufficiently by progressing the tasks accordingly. However as each chapter is significantly different in size and complexity to develop, the second level tasks are not represented well by time invested.

We wish to be able to weight the second level tasks according to a criteria independent of effort. i.e. a particular chapter may be 15% of the entire book which is our ultimate measure of progress.

Can anyone help me understand if there is any way to do this in Project?

Thanks

Thanks

Re: Understanding Percent Complete (2000)

You could try going to Tools, Options, Calculations, and uncheck edits to task % are spread to status date or try modifying the other checkboxes.

HTH
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Have you been through the whole project estimating the time expected to be spent on each detailed task? Project uses these sub-task durations to calculate the estimated duration of each chapter, and of the book as a whole.

When you mark detail tasks as completed or partially completed, Project will calculate the %age complete of each summary task, and of the whole book based on the proportional size of each chapter.

Tony.
    Regards,

Tony
    [s] [/s]
    www.SylviArtist.com

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes I have. We produce a number of these books on a 12 month cycle, however each one takes significantly less than a year, and a nuber are n production simultaneously. We also use a number of outside peope whose time we do not wish to track. So we have broken our detail tasks into 2-3 month blocks throughout the year. however, because we are doing a nubner of these at once, if we are half way through the year, and half way through our taks, that does necessarily mean we are half way complete, because of differing effort required for different stages of the process.
    Also each book adds up to an overall volume and each book is of different size.
    We don't want to track manhours of outside people resources, and because of the modular nature of the task, we are hapy to track our personel effort at quite a high level. therefore I have been trying to find a way to reflect the number of pages produced.
    The best I have been able to come up with, is to put relative values in the hours column for a dummy resource so that as I mark that task complete, it is weighted accordingto the hours assigned to it.
    The disadvantage of this is that I want to do a high level resource assigmnent of people to some tasks - so because of the way I am using the people resource filed as described before, I think I then need to assign people as through they were material resources.
    It is forcing the fit a bit more than i am happy with but I haven't found a better way as yet.
    thanks for your ideas.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure that I have got a full understanding of your project. However, to pick up on
    <<I have been trying to find a way to reflect the number of pages produced>>
    one way would be to create your own custom fields for Estimted Pages, Actual Pages and %age Pages Completed.

To create a custom field: Tools/Customise/Fields and choose the Number1 field, renaming as Estimted Pages. To accumulate sub task values into summary task values, from Calc. for Summary Rows select Rollup Sum. Do the same for Actual Pages (Number2). The %age complete field will be a calculated field (Actual/Est).

To show the new fields in a table, select Insert/Column and chose it from the Field Dropdown.

Hope this is of help.

Tony.
    Regards,

Tony
    [s] [/s]
    www.SylviArtist.com