New Lounger
    Thanks

Slow Closing Form (2000)

I have a form that encompasses a list view that is taking a silly amount of time to close. It is running no code on exit it is simply closing. When debugging and stepping through the form closes immediately, however when closed in runtime there is a delay! Anybody had a simmilar problem?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Slow Closing Form (2000)

I don't have a specific suggestion, but a general one. Make sure that the Name AutoCorrect options in the General tab of Tools | Options are off; Name AutoCorrect can cause forms to be sluggish. It is a per-database setting, you'll have to do this once for each database.

New Lounger
    Thanks

thanks hansV. No joy though

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by charlotte on 21-Oct-03 16:13. to activate link)</P>You can check the following link for possible perforance issues:

http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/performancefaq.htm

HTH

John

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know if this will be any help, in one db I had some forms that were very slow to close (especially when using network connection for linked tables) even though they had no code that executed on closing. For unrelated reasons, I replaced the standard VBA code used to close form (DoCmd.Close) with the Windows PostMessage API function as shown in this example:

API declaration (place in standard code module):

Declare Function PostMessage Lib "user32" Alias "PostMessageA" _
    (ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal wMsg As Long, _
    ByVal wParam As Long, ByVal lParam As Any) As Long

' Windows Message (WM) Constants:
    Public Const WM_CLOSE = &H10

Event procedure for "Exit form" button:

Private Sub Exit_button_Click()
    PostMessage Me.hwnd, WM_CLOSE, 0&, 0&
    End Sub

When I used the above sub in place of DoCmd.Close command, the slow-closing forms closed without delay. By using the API, you post a message to the form window's message queue directly, telling it to close. The VBA command essentially does the same thing, but for some reason the "slow" forms would not close immediately. You can try this, but no guarantee will work in your case. The other thing to check is, even if you do not have a Form Close or Unload event, is any validation procedure, such as a BeforeUpdate event, which may be slowing things down when closing form if an edited record was not explicitly saved.

HTH