New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2003 and Exchange Server (Office 2003)

I just received my copy of Office 2003 this morning and installed it. It was installed as an upgrade to my previous version and all my settings seem to have carried over. However, Outlook 2003 will only work offline. If I try to run it online I get as far as submitting my id and password, only to be told that it can't open the outlook Window and can't open the set of folders. If I run it offline and then try to 'Send and Receive', it says that it can't connect to the server. I haven't made any changes to my setup, which worked perfectly OK for Outlook 2003. Can anyone suggest any settings that might differ between 2002 and 2003 and cause this problem?

(There is no problem with my server as I can connect to all my folders through Outlook Web Access (i.e., via Internet Explorer)).

John

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook 2003 and Exchange Server (Office 2003)

Do you know which model of Exchange Server your company is running?
    Gre

New Lounger
    Thanks

So far as know it is Exchange 2000 (not Exchange 2003), but Outlook 2003 should work with this.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Try taking a note of your Exchange profile in Outlook, deleting it and then adding it back. (MSKB has no "known issues" on this.)
    Gre

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried this and didn't get any further.

I have had a response from Microsoft Technical Support, who suggested the same thing and also suggested changing the RPC binding order and checking the RPC Client Protocols. None of this helped.

The only slight clue is that if I run Outlook offline and then try Send and Receive, the task report shows error 0x8004011D. But I have no idea what this means.

I suspect that the problem is something very simple and basic about reading and accepting my name and/or password - though I have tried all possible variations and am certain that I am entering it correctly.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Do you have "Send immediately when connected" in Tools|Options checked? If so, uncheck it.
    Gre

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks again, but, sorry, this still does not seem to make any difference.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

There are 2 apparent instances of this error code in Outlook 2002, but your Outlook 2002 configuration worked fine. In any event, neither of the solutions for 2002 seem to apply to your situation. All I can suggest is that you check periodically at the Microsoft Knowledge base, choosing Outlook as your product and entering the the error code into the search topic.
    Gre

Thanks

Hot off the press from the latest Woody's Office Watch:
    <hr>5. PATCH EXCHANGE SERVER BEFORE USING OUTLOOK 2003
    Sue Mosher - my favorite Outlook guru - posted a warning about using Outlook 2003 with Exchange Server 5.5, 2000 or 2003. Apparently Outlook 2003 screws up a Collaborative Data Objects-related setting. If you're connected to Exchange Server 5.5, and work with Outlook 2003, you won't be able to use Outlook Web Access to get at your mail. Other Exchange Server versions are prone to problems that are more subtle.

The only solution at this point is to apply a hotfix to Exchange Server. Mercifully, Microsoft is distributing this hotfix freely on the Web.

Exchange Server was also the target of two of the last round of MS Security Bulletins: MS03-046 and MS03-047.

Hit Sue's site, http://www.slipstick.com, for details.<hr>
    HTH

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I had a look at this before I made my <!post=previous post,305159>previous post<!/post>. This is in fact the opposite way round to what is being reported. The user CAN access OWA, but he can't get into Exchange from Outlook 2003. Sue has been reporting the issue where users have already accessed Exchange from Outlook 2003 and then can no longer get OWA. MS is recommending a patch to Exchange. Perhaps, using Humpty Dumpty logic, this MAY solve the issue that was posted.
    Gre

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Have you asked your IT department whether they have installed the Exchange Server Patch mentioned here? This is what Woody is talking about. If they have not not, installing it may solve your problem. There may be problems for other users - such as loss of Outlook Web Access - if IT don't patch the server. Please let us know the outcome - particularly if it turns out that IT had installed the patch before you upgraded.
    Gre

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Create a new profile and see if it fixes it. There are some problems on occassion whe nyou upgrade a reuse a profile but a new one seems to fix it.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I am working through various of the suggestions that have come in and have asked the IT people to check on the Exchange Patch. It is not possible to create a new profile without a connection to Exchange (to check name), so it is Catch 22.

However, Microsoft suggested RPC binding problems and asked me to try to 'ping' the server. This resulted in a failure: 'RPC Binding returned (0x6be). Could not bind using these parameters'. So, the problem seems to lie there, somewhere. There is information on http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=325930 for this, and I am looking at that and have also got back to Microsoft for suggestions. So, watch this space: unless there are any RPC experts out there.

Thanks

I'm no RPC expert, but one of the workarounds for MSBlaster was to disable RPC (stop the service, make it start manually) on client machines. Not sure if this is applicable to your situation...

New Lounger
    Thanks

The problem is now resolved - though I am not completely sure why.

There seemed to be problems pinging my server by name, so I went back to basics and tried, yet again, to create a new Profile. This, again, failed to resolve the server and user names when I tried 'Check Names'. So, I tried putting in the IP address rather than the server name. To my surprise Check names worked and the Outlook proceeded to load and to set itself up for first use.

This set up involves creating local folders for the cache and then synchronising all folders. Outlook said this would take 'a few minutes' - an hour and a half later it is still chugging away, but at least the connection works and I am able to send and receive e-mails properly.

Thanks to everyone for the various suggestions which all, in some way, contributed to the eventual solution.