Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word2000 Freeze/crash

Progressing over a few days, W2000 went from occasionally freezing at its splash screen to always doing so, such that I cannot open the program. Mouse pointer stays mobile, everything else is frozen. 96 MB RAM on a PIII400 Dell, running only MS Office & Quicken. HD is defragged and junk files are junked weekly. Ctrl/Alt/Del to back out slowly produces a warning that resources are dangerously low (although they are typically 88%/88%/93%) and usually does not enable me to close. I have twice both 'repaired' and 'reinstalled' W2000. How do I figure out whether the problem is the application or is actually the OS? ScanDisk has never produced a negative report or found lost clusters.
    Help -- gotta get a major report out this w/end!
    Thanks,
    Peter

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word2000 Freeze/crash

Hi Peter:

A couple of things:

1. When you say junk files are junked weekly, are you talking about temp files. You should do a search for all temp files on your system. On my system I found I could search for *.tmp,~*.* & delete them without problems. Another poster, BAM, pointed out that some apps use ~ at the beginning of some permanent filenames. So it's probably safter to delete all *.tmp,~$*.do?,~*.wbk files.

2. There might be an add-in that's causing the problem. Go to Start/Run & type
    winword.exe /a
    & see if you still have a problem. If you don't, then it's either a corrupt normal.dot or an add-in that's causing it. You can cure the former by renaming normal.dot to normal.old & the latter by removing all add-ins from your startup folder (then add back in 1 at a time). You may also have add-ins that are not in the startup folder, such as in Microsoft Office/Office/addins.

3. You might also have a virus. Do you keep your virus definitions up to date & run them?

Hope this helps.

Lounger
    Thanks

I've had problems with Word2000 progressing at times from fatal error/terminations to unexecutability (i.e., persisent, immediate fatal errors upon opening Word2000), when I first installed the program and after my disk crashed and I needed to reinstall everything. One indirect solution that worked for me was Adaptec's GoBack utility program that restores everything to the way it was before--after a few disk recovery/system restore operations by GoBack following several progressive sequences over a couple of weeks leading to episodes of unusability similar to the sequence you describe, the bug (?) stopped occurring.

Another possible solution might be installing one of the Service Release Patch programs for Word 2000(I think Woody recommendes SR-1a) available at the Windows Update site, if you haven't already done so.

Well, good luck,

Sat Kartar

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Phil -- you nailed it: corrupted normal.dot was the problem. I'm fed up with the smart-ass way Word2000 tries to infer intention to change normal.dot. The old way to change the template was clunky, but it worked, and its logic was impeccable. Thanks for saving my hide!
    Peter