3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Invisible section break (Word 2000)

I've attached a small portion of a document that has a section break in it, but I can't find the break. It's apparently somewhere in the carriage return at the end of the long blank line because that's where the section number indicator increments.

I tried searching for the break, but it was not found.

The document came to us by email and was not set up well at all.

Any idea what's going on here?
    Attached Files Attached Files

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Invisible section break (Word 2000)

Not sure where it is either, but if you can save to RTF and back again it'll get rid of it.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you position the insertion point at the end of the blank line (immediately before the paragraph mark) and press Enter, a Next Page section break will appear. You must be in page layout view to see it.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, folks.

That's odd that it was a Next Page section break. I figured it was a Continuous since the page wasn't breaking. Somehow the Break wasn't taking effect until it got "released" by hitting Enter right there.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It seems fairly certain that the break is "corrupted."
    If you use Word XP's "Open and Repair" option, it reports that "Sections and Header 1" (sic) contained errors but that the errors had been fixed. Oddly, the fix (such as it was) resulted in a page break being inserted; yet, if your cursor was on page 1, the status bar read "page 1 section 1" and read "page 2 section 2" when it was on the second page. And, if you closed the file and used "Open and Repair" to re-open it (which I often do to see if Word had really fixed the problem), Word reported the same problem. However, if you then save as RTF (as was indicated in another reply), Word will no longer find any errors, but you will find that the break has been converted to a regular page-break, not a section break. (I don't know about you, but this would make me feel a lot more secure about the integrity of the document.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">That's what you do in a herd; you look out for each other!</font face=comic> - Mike

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the good info, Mike.