New Lounger
    Thanks

Enabling a workgroup and a domain

I have Windows 2000 on my notebook computer. When I'm in my office (in another state) I want to log on to the domain. When I'm in my home office I want to log onto the local workgroup. So I have two profiles. Is there any way to make that easier? If I could use the domain logon but still have access to local workgroup resources, that would be great.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Enabling a workgroup and a domain

At home you should be able to log on using the domain id. W2k should use cached credentials when you are not connected to the office lan. You should be able to access anything you need by setting permissions on folders,files,printers, etc.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

I will experiment on permissions to see if that helps. If I log on using the domain settings and try to access a machine on the local network (one where I have designated shares) I get the message "There are no logon servers available to service the logon request."

Dave

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

You could try logging on to "This Machine" in both places. When it comes to accessing Network Resources in the office, click on the folders in Windows Explorer. When it asks you for an ID and password use [domain name] before your ID and it should allow you to accesr your shares.
    Gre