2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Visio Install Problme

I've been through several versions of Visio and recently had Visio 2000 installed and working but had problems importing AutoCAD files so I thought I might upgrade(?) to Visio 2000 sp1, the first "Official" Microsoft edition. Wanting to start out with a clean slate I tried to do an uninstall of the current version. Add/Removed couldn't find the uninstall info, probably because it was installed from a network server and even giving it an appropriate CD didn't help. I tried to do the sp1 install anyway. The first part of the install process is supposed to "update" needed system files, restart windows and resume with the install of Visio. After eight restarts I gave up on that route. I downloaded the Microsoft article Q282234 "How to completely removed Visio 2000 from Microsoft Windows" and did the uninstall that way. I removed all the files and registry keys but there were some folders windows would not let me delete (
    Thanks,

C DeWitt

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Visio Install Problme

Hi, Chris. I'm not certain, but I thought that SP's had to be installed on existing software, and SR's could be clean installs. Just a thought, you may want to use that CD to install the V2k, and then install the SP1.
    Karen

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, I should have said Service Release 1 not Service Pack. It's a full install on CD. In the for what it's worth department though the release notes don't say what to do about previous installs. I tried to do an install with the original version still intact and that's when it got stuck in the loop trying to update the "System Files". It wasn't till I removed the previous install that I got beyond that.
    Thanks,

C DeWitt

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I just completed a successful install with the help of a Microsoft support person.

To install-

Make a folder somewhere on your system. This will be the folder Visio runs out of.

Copy the "bin" folder (<CD Drive>:Installbin) to this folder on your hard drive.

Find the file <Visio folder on hard drive>binProgram FilesVisioVisio32.exe

Run Visio32.exe with /r on the command line (Visio32.exe /r) This registers the application

Make shortcuts for Visio as needed.

Seems to simple to believe. Why couldn't they just print these instructions with the program.
    There were lots of caveat about possibly not installing properly with a Novel network or virus program running but this did it for me.
    Thanks,

C DeWitt

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry you had problems. I installed Visio 2000 as an upgrade to Visio 5 on my NT laptop without any problems at all, and I installed it cold on my NT workstation in the office on a Novell network without any problems. It sounds like I was lucky.
    Charlotte