Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Boolean Text (A2k)

Is it possible to take a string text and look for key words from the sentence.

Let me explain.

I would like to try and set up a question answer facility.

A question can be asked, and an answer given, dependent on certain keywords in the original question.
    The facility may return many answers, but the user has the option to select the one which best suits his needs.

Is this possible ?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Boolean Text (A2k)

The technical answer: you can use the InStr function to test whether a keyword occurs in a string. InStr(strText, strKey) will return a positive number if strKey occurs within strText, and 0 if it doesn't. For example, if

strText = "Dave Willett is a member of Woody's Lounge"
    strKey = "member"

then the InStr expression will return 19, the position of the first "m" of "member" in strText.

BUT

This might become very complicated, if you want to check that the keyword occurs as a whole word, if you want to do fuzzy matching, etc.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

So, by using strText as an unbound text, and this sentence returns lets say 3 key words, could an answer be obtained using the 3 key words as the most apt answer, and how would I return an answer, example:

Q.
    strText = "Are there any members of Woody's Lounge"

A.
    strAnswer1 = "Woody's welcomes new members into it's Lounge" ( 3 key words )
    strAnswer2 = "Join Woody's Lounge today" ( 2 key words )

Would the answer be pulled from a query ???

I wouldnt know where to start this, and it's only thoughts at this stage, any further comments would be welcome or even a short eample.
    Thanks again.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It would be best to store the question, perhaps temporarily, in a table, because you can then run a query against it.

I have attached a demo database. I chose to use a phrases (answers) table and a separate keywords table that has to be populated by the developer; matching on all words in the phrases to be searched is difficult because you have to exclude common words such as "the" and "is". Finally, there is a questions table.

There are three queries:
    qryScores calculates the number of matches between each question and each phrase.
    qryHighScores calculates the highest score per question. I excluded scores of 0.
    qryBestPhrases selects the phrases with the highest score for each question. There may be more than one such phrase for a single question.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thats clever.
    Hopefully, this should help me along.
    I could use this as a basis for a help system.

Thanks for taking the time to compile the demo, it's appreciated.