New Lounger
    Thanks

Reappearing mapped drives

Our company has a Windows 2000 server. Some of our office personnel are using Windows 98 O/S. One particular salesman "somehow" got multiple mapped drives to the same location. I have disconnected them and they mysteriously reappear. This past time he noticed them when he tried to Save a document and it was in the Save In box. I downloaded the update pertaining to mapped drives causing problems with shutting down- that helped. I thought it solved the problem but evidently it didn't. Can somebody help?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Reappearing mapped drives

First thought, does the user run a script at log in which might do the mappings?
    Granville

Thanks

Are these multiples taking up additional drive letters - or are you getting (e.g.) multiple "Drive F's"?
    I remember the former as a problem with W2K or NT4 clients - I forget which - but was not aware of it with W98.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for responding. There were multiple drives with different letters. The different drives were mapped to the "Q" drive. What we did this morning was cut all the information from the different drives, cut it put it in a 'dummy' folder on the "Q" drive. They dissappeared each time this was done. Then deleted the 'dummy' folder from the 'Q'. Now there is no link and it seems the drives are gone for good. This may have been a long way around but if it works that's ok.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for responding. I don't think there would be a script running, but I'm not sure. What we did this morning was cut all the information from the different drives, cut it put it in a 'dummy' folder on the "Q" drive. They disappeared each time this was done. Then deleted the 'dummy' folder from the 'Q'. Now there is no link and it seems the drives are gone for good.

Thanks

Odd.
    Can you check in Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder options > View...
    Does W98 have an option to "Automatically search for network folders and printers" - if so, was it selected?

New Lounger
    Thanks

I don't see the 'Auto check' option but there was a 'Remember each settings view settings' checked.