Star Lounger
    Thanks

Reappearing toolbar options (Word 2000/Windows 2000)

I have a global template that seems to have two versions of the same toolbar. If the global template becomes unloaded /opened or closed I sometimes see the old toolbar (same name) with different options. I've never recreated the toolbar, but I think this problem may have happened because I customized the toolbar when the template was loaded and then modified the toolbar when it was unloaded. Is there any way to get rid of this old version of the toolbar? I've tried deleting my normal.dot, I've also used Payne's VBA Code cleaner, and have deleted the toolbar then used the organizer to put it back and I no luck.

I want to avoid completely recreating the toolbar in a new template, because it will be a very laborious process. Any suggestions?

Kyle Knowles
    Connetics Corporation
    Palo Alto, California

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Reappearing toolbar options (Word 2000/Windows 2000)

Have you checked all your other global templates if there is a copy of the toolbar lurking in there? Or if there is a copy with a different name? A template can't contain two toolbars with the same name.

Thanks

Word will try to "merge" all your toolbars. It's possible that unloading is revealing the version that exists in Normal.dot or another template. Can you find it in any other place, other than the one global template?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've checked all my other global templates and have deleted Normal.dot several times.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've deleted Normal.dot a few times.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

See if the steps outlined in <!post=Systematic approach to behavioral problems in Word,197827>Systematic approach to behavioral problems in Word<!/post> let you pinpoint the culprit.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Alright I think I have isolated the root of the problem. I have two global templates in my startup. 1= Connetics.dot 2= Publishing.dot. When Publishing.dot is removed from Startup, I can't make the old toolbar reappear. If I have Publishing.dot loaded, I can make the old toolbar reappear everytime by 1) openining Connetics.dot, 2) unloading it, and 3) then reloading the template and then my old toolbar reappears.

The name of the old toolbar is called "Connetics". This old toolbar is not in Publishing.dot, but somehow it contains some changes or this old toolbar within it. How do i delete any code or reference to my Connetics toolbar in the Publishing.dot template? Or is there another problem.

BTW my computer is not the only machine that this old toolbar will reappear on. We have two other people here who have Connetics.dot and Publishing.dot loaded and they also see the old toolbar.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I can't find anything at all about either of these templates in Google or in the newsgroups, so I can only give general advice.

Load Publishing.dot
    Switch to the Visual Basic Editor (Alt+F11)
    Activate the Project Explorer (Ctrl+R)
    Expand Publishing.dot (as in Windows Explorer)
    Double click ThisDocument and see if there is any code there. If so, you will have to look for code that manipulates CommandBars.
    Also see if there is anything under Modules and / or Class Modules.

If you can't find anything, repeat the above for Connetics.dot,

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans.

There was no code in my ThisDocument events, but I believe I've solved the problem. I created a new Publishing.dot template, imported all my modules, and copied my toolbars over too. It was easier to create a new Publishing.dot template vs. the Connetics.dot. My reappearing toolbar options are gone. I obviously had at some point the customization context set to the Publishing.dot when I was making changes to the toolbar in my Connetics.dot. I did not think this was possible because my Publishing.dot template never listed the Connetics.dot toolbar name.

I also wonder what the impact of customizing an open LOADED global template vs. an open, UNLOADED global template is? I try to unload them before I work on a global template, but sometimes I forget to unload it. Does it matter?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, I have no idea. I hope that somebody else will be able to help.