New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook - Save Msgs to Text File (2003)

I am SO disappointed with Outlook 2003. I was using the Beta and hoping the problem would be fixed in the release version.

I used to be able to save several email messages into one text file:
    Select messages
    File, Save As (txt)

Now the only way I can do this it:
    Select one message at a time
    Edit, Select All
    Edit, Copy
    Open Word
    Paste message into the Word file

Before I got a nice simple text file with the four header lines (Date, From/To, etc.) along with the contents of the messages.

I used to use this simple method to completely control my email orders for my business. I would create batches of orders and process them. As soon as I save the text file, I simply moved the messages into a 'Completed Orders' folder and knew for certain that I had processed those orders.

Now I have no control at all because it's awfully easy to lose ones place when copying 25-30 messages into one file. It's also very time consuming to save 25-30 separate text files.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook - Save Msgs to Text File (2003)

In OL 2000 I have found this operation to be balky; sometimes it works, and then it won't. Does the File | Save As menu option still exist in OL 2003 when multiple messages are selected? If you close and restart Outlook '03, is the capability restored?

If you can't get it to work, there is VBA code <!post=here,287154>here<!/post> to save each individual message to a *.msg file. (The entire thread may be of interest.) Changing "Type:=olMSG" to "Type:=olTXT" should permit saving each message as an individual text file. And I think you''ll need ClickYes.

At the risk of annoying you (and no offense intended), it seems redundant to me to have to save messages to txt files which can be saved and searched within folders in your PST. Would a better Folder or Categories structure (Such as "Not Started", "In Progress", & "Completed") work as well as whatever you are doing now? Could you set each order up as an Outlook Task?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Super Moderator
    Thanks

On my beta copy, if I select several emails and the go to the menu, File, Save As, all files are included in the txt file. Is this what you want?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

like dave says, this is working in Outlook 2003 - it works for me with all message formats. I would try creating a new profile with a new pst and see if it works as the first troubleshooting step.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion. I can't imagine why this started happening but it was when I first installed the Beta. When I do the File, Save As, I get a text file with the four subject lines for each message, (Date, To, From and Subject) but not the contents of the message.

I did try exporting them to a csv file and it worked, but I don't need that much structure to the data! It was so simple before.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I tried setting up the profile--no dice. I'm afraid this one of those obsure settings I have made somewhere which is causing this.

It would be a hassle but is there anyway I can reset all my Outlook settings back to the defaults? This is killing me!!