New Lounger
    Thanks

Visual Basic Error (Office XP Standard/SP1/SP2)

I have a new installation of the Office XP Standard package on WinME operating system. Excel seems to work without any obvious problems, but I cannot get anywhere with Word. Even before entering any text, it comes up with "Microsoft Visual Basic: An error occurred while loading 'This Document'. Do you want to continue loading the project?" If I click on "Yes", I get more error messages and eventually have to close the program. Even with "No" I get into a hopeless loop. Would greatly appreciate advice!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Visual Basic Error (Office XP Standard/SP1/SP2)

It's probably a problem with Normal.dot or a global template. Follow the steps in <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (97/2000),197827>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (97/2000)<!/post>.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Many thanks, Hans, I believe your advice has enabled me to fix the problem. There were a couple of hundred *.tmp files, but two could not be deleted, being NtfC024.tmp and NtfC025.tmp, both residing in the C|WindowsTEMPmosqthrsvc folder. I noticed that there were a large number of other files and folders in the C:WindowsTEMP folder, but I left these alone. This in any case didn't fix the problem.

I then went to your Second Step, found 5 instances of normal.dot and renamed them all. Word now seemed to be behaving better, with one exception: I could not get it to hide the PDF5 toolbar. Any thoughts on this?

I wonder if this Word problem arose from installing Office XP on top of Office 97, instead of clearing the latter out beforehand?

Much appreciated!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you can't get rid of the PDF toolbar, there must be a global template that contains it. The third step in Phil Rabichow's "Systematic Approach" should help you to pinpoint the culprit.

BTW, if you restart your computer and make sure that no applications are running except Windows Explorer, you should be able to clean out your Temp folder. It should be safe to delete everything in it (except Temporary Internet Folders).