<big><font color=ff8c00><font face="Comic Sans MS">Posting Code on the Forum</font face=comic></font color=ff8c00></big>

<font color=blue>If you post code, well formatted as good code should be, you will find that when you post the code, your nice spacing will have disappeared.

The problem is that when code is posted into the forum, it gets changed into HTML (Hyper Text Markup Language). HTML ignores tabs, extra spaces and end of line markers- unless you tell it to do otherwise.

Here's the way to solve it.

You are not allowed to use HTML tags in your messages, as there is the possibility of causing damage. So a safe alternative is provided - Markup</font color=blue> "[]" <font color=blue>tags.

When you post code on the forum, you can enclose it with</font color=blue> [pre](code)[/pre] <font color=blue> tags. Anything posted between these tags will keep its formatting. It will also use a monospaced font (one which uses the same amount of space for each and every letter). So that the following code:</font color=blue>

<pre>if strSomething = 1 then
for I = 1 to 5
msgbox I & " abc"
next I
end if</pre>

<font color=blue>If posted on the forum as straight text will look like this:</font color=blue>

if strSomething = 1 then
for I = 1 to 5
msgbox I & " abc"
next I
end if

<font color=blue>But if you post the same message with Markup tags - like this:
</font color=blue>
<pre>[pre]
if strSomething = 1 then
for I = 1 to 5
msgbox I & " abc"
next I
end if
[/pre]</pre>

<font color=blue>it will appear exactly as you want it to appear in the forum (without the tags showing).</font color=blue>

<big><font color=ff8c00><font face="Comic Sans MS">If You've Already Posted the Code</font face=comic></font color=ff8c00></big>
<font color=blue>
Not a worry. Just go back to your message, click on the "edit" button, and put the </font color=blue> [pre] <font color=blue> tag before the code, and the </font color=blue> [/pre] <font color=blue> tag after the code.</font color=blue>

<big><font color=ff8c00><font face="Comic Sans MS">Caution </font face=comic></font color=ff8c00></big>

<font color=blue>If you post a long line, it will not wrap onto the next line. That will mean a reader will have to scroll right to see all of the line. It's worse if the viewer is viewing in "flat" mode- because the whole page is contained in a (hidden) table, every message in the thread will spread to fill the extra width you have caused. This also pushes the Reply button way over to where people may not be able to find it.

So, please use the "_ " break indicator (or the continuation character for your language) to shorten your lines to a length of about 50 characters. Other Loungers will appreciate your thoughtfulness.