Thanks

System requirements (XP Home)

I'm confused about system requirements for Windows XP Home edition. I run Windows 98 (first edition) on a PC with an AMD K6-2 350 MHz CPU, 128 MB of Ram. When XP came out, I looked at the system requirements they specified and concluded that my PC wasn't up to it. From memory, I think they mentioned at least 400MHz, but now the MIcrosoft site says only at least 300 MHz. Have they changed their recommendations? Or have I remembered wrong? And would loungers recommend running XP on such a lowly machine? (The reason for wanting to upgrade from Windows 98 is that increasngly I find there are programs that need at least Windows 98 SE and don't work well (or at all) with Windows 98 first edition.)

Ian

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: System requirements (XP Home)

Personaly, the very least I would run WinXP on is a {Pent lll 450MHZ} and even then I don't like the way it works. The Laptop I use when I go out of town and for my wife when I am in town, is the above Pent lll 450MHZ and I have had WinXP on it, and did not like the way it worked, to sluggish for me. I ended up installing Win2000 on it and it worked a lot better. Also WinXP doesn't run well on less then 256MB Ram. My desktop is a Pent lll running at 1050 MHS with 768MB SDRam with WinXP Pro, and It runs great.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Ian

Microsoft has historically always suggested an absolute minimum specification for running successive versions of the Windows operating system, one where it will boot, but do little else!

I agree with the Cowboy that your machine would be a bit creaky running XP. I would suggest that a practical machine to run an "average workload" (i.e no AutoCAD or Access!) would have 512 MB of memory, and as much CPU power as you can throw at it, probably at least 1 GHz. 256 MB will probably cause a fair amount of paging if you have several programs open at once (with just IE6SP1 and Explorer running, I'm using 280 MB). CPU is rather less critical than memory, but you need to be beyond a certain minimum -- say double Microsoft's suggestions? -- for adequate performance.

Since you can buy a fairly-well specced Dell in the UK for around
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You can still download the Windows 98 Service Pack that upgrades 98 to SE at Windows98/downloads. Then you can upgrade to a newer version of IE and basically have 98SE, if this helps. There's even a phone # where you can order a CD of the Service Pack.

kip

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

These are the minimums MS posts but as CBD and others will tell you eloquently, XP wants more:

Windows XP Home Edition System Requirements

SMBP

Thanks

Thanks - I already have the service pack, but it doesn't actually upgrade first edition to SE, and some programs that need SE as a minimum just won't run, or run badly.

When SE first came out, MS used to supply a CD that actually did upgrade 98 to 98SE, but I have contacted them and they will no longer supply it. They want you to upgrade to a later version of Windows. All I hear about Windows Me doesn't inspire confidence. The general advice here seems to be that XP would be a bad idea with my PC. I suppose that leaves an upgrade to Windows 2000.... Unless there is someone out there (in the UK) who has a copy of the CD that upgrades 98 to 98SE.

Ian

Banned Member
    Thanks

Win2000 is a good OS. WinXP was built off of Win2000 Technology. WinMe sucks as for as I am concerned. And you should be able to find a copy of Win98 SE on the internet.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Here ya go Win98SE

Thanks

Thanks. - Ian