2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Embedded objects (Word 2000 SP2)

I have a document that contains a number of embedded objects. Certain objects created in PowerPoint are embedded using the standard Insert/Object menu option. The PP object contains some small pictures that are inserted on top of a blue circle. When I view the current page (with the PP embedded object) in Word Print Preview all seems OK, when I print the page the small pictures print incorrectly (they appear in the foreground with a white background), I have tired changing the order of the small pictures to all four types, forward, backward etc. to no avail. I have tired this on a number of different printers using Postscript drivers and have the same problem on them all except for a HP 4550 Colour Laserjet using a standard 4550 PS printer driver. Does anyone have any idea what is causing this and how I can fix it?

Thank you in advance

Regards

John

Thanks

Re: Embedded objects (Word 2000 SP2)

Just to make sure I understand, even though I probably don't know the answer, you have embedded slides and the problem is that the blue circle in the embedded slides fails to print on most printers?

As a test, what happens if you:

(1) Print this slide directly from PowerPoint?

(2) Convert the embedded slide to a picture (Ctrl+Shift+F9) and then print? (Note, this is not reversible, so don't save over your original.)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for your response.

On further investigation I think it could possibly be something to do with transparency. I have an embedded PP slide that I can edit/open from within Word, the slide contains a number of pictures inserted over a blue background. When I print from within PP, pictures print OK, when printed on the same printer using the same PS printer driver the embedded PP slide in Word the pictures within the embedded slide print with a white background. Any ideas?

Many thanks

John

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi John,

This could be a printer driver issue, but it you might be able to get around it by selecting the embedded slide in Word and using Format|Object|Colors and Lines and selecting an appropriate 'Fill' colour, though this setting might affect the background for whole slide.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for this.

I have already tried this but it made no difference when printed. The reason I am not convinced it is a printer driver issue is because it prints fine in PP. I am at a complete loss at the minute. HELP!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I'd still check out the printer driver. The mere fact that it prints fine in one application doesn't mean the printer driver works for all applications. Also, I noticed that you said you tried different layers for your floating object. Have you tried inline?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Phil,

Have a look at tthe attached it may help. I have had to strip out lots of grapics due to file size restrictions. Hopefully you can still use it.

Many thanks

Regards

John
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The document you posted contains a mostly empty page with the attached picture in the upper left corner. When I print it, it looks exactly like the screenshot, except that the extremely light yellowish grey and blue colors are dithered. Does my screenshot correspond to what you see on screen, or to your printout, or neither?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.PNG (3.3 KB, 0 views)

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John:
    I looked, but unfortunately, that didn't help. I have Word 2000 SR-3, but I have an old black & white HP laserjet. I printed it as an embeded object & as a picture & they looked the same...a shaded part of a circle that said kays. I'm afraid I haven't worked with PP slides, so I don't really have any ideas.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks guys for all your help.

It prints with a white background (see attached)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

When I right-click the embedded slide and open it in PowerPoint 2002, the background is white. Maybe you can do a SaveAs with one slide of your PPT file and upload that? (Use a Zip program to compress it, if necessary.)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Please see attached. If on screen the "Kay" appears with a light blue background am I correct in presuming it should print like that as well?

Thanks again for all your help on this one.

Regards

John
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

I just realized you are using Word 2000. This works fine in Word 2002 (Office XP) to an HP LaserJet 4050. Works fine meaning I get an appropriate shade of gray. Not sure why Word 2000 should be different...