4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Too helpful with bullets (2002)

I am just in the process of switching from 97 to 2000 and it's giving me fits. When I have a series of bullets and I want to indent some of them, it switches them from bullets to outline letters. If I click on the bullet icon to switch them back to bullets, it undoes my indent. I know Word thinks it's being helpful but it's just giving me fits. Word 97 did not do this. How can I turn it off in Word 2000? (I know I can work around it with paragraph formatting but I would like to expunge this behavior from my system.)

Ronny
    Ronny Richardson

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Too helpful with bullets (2002)

You cannot expunge the behaviour. But you can fix it by simply creating a new bullet style with the same characteristics but a different indent level. You have to select the bullets anyway to move them in, now you just change the style from the styles drop-down menu. Just remember to include the new style in your template.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You could create a new outline list that has the bullets you want at each level. To do this
    <UL><LI>Put your cursor in a paragraph that uses your first level of bullet
    <LI>Format > Bullets and Numbering > Outline Numbered
    <LI>Select a style that uses bullets
    <LI>Click Customize...
    <LI>Change the level 1 bullet to one that you want and set the indent level as you prefer
    <LI>Select level 2 and set the bullet and indent for that level
    <LI>Repeat the previous step for all levels that you might ever use
    <LI>Do not click OK until you have done all levels you must set all levels in a single visit to the dialog box[/list]StuartR

Lounger
    Thanks

Another thing about Word's giving you a bullet when you indent something in a bulleted list. I read this here some time ago. You can move your bulleted line to the right without doing an indent (where Word supplies a new bullet) -- use Control-M to move it right however many times you need. If you want to move it back to the left, use Control-Shift-M. I've been using it ever since I read about it.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You are right, this is very cool. Thanks, I'm sure I'll be using it for a long time.

Ronny
    Ronny Richardson