New Lounger
    Thanks

Can't OPen .jpg (Outlook 2002)

Trying to solve my wife's problem... she can't open an attached .jpg image after inadvertently deleting and subsequently restoring her .pst. She gets an Microsoft Photo editor error saying that there is no file format in the registry. If she saves the file to disk, it opens with Microsoft Picture and Fax viewer (the default for that file type on Windows Explore XPpro). Other users on the same machine can open .jpg files from Outlook. In these cases, the default program is Microsoft Photo Editor, which is weird. Any ideas?

Thanks

Re: Can't OPen .jpg (Outlook 2002)

Yes, for some reason, when you open a JPG from Windows Explorer, it uses the "Preview" action (if you right click it, you'll see what I mean) while Outlook uses the "Open" action. It sounds as though something has gone a bit wrong with the Open action for MS Photo Editor. With some programs, there is a way to re-register them as the default handler for different file types, but I don't know if MS Photo Editor is one of them. What sometimes works is to right-click a JPB (in Windows Explorer), choose Open With, then Choose Program..., highlight MS Photo Editor and make sure the box is checked to "always use this program" in the future.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can't OPen .jpg (Outlook 2002)

With the above suggestion I decide to go about this in another direction...I gave my wife's account admin priviledges and modified the program which Windows Explorer uses to open .jpg images and it cleared up the problem within her Outlook pst. What I was not aware of was different users on the same machine can use different default programs for the same file extensions...one user can use Windows Picture and Fax; another can use IE; and another can use Microsoft Photo Editor.

Anyway--PROBLEM SOLVED. Thanks for reading.