New Lounger
    Thanks

Force a Sort Order? (2000)

I've got a sorting problem . The Sort Ascending should give me 1 Main, 10 Main, 100 Main, 101 Main, 1000 Main but the attached shows the sort I'm getting. How do I change this?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Force a Sort Order? (2000)

These look like street addresses. Excel sees the string as text so "101 xx" comes after "1000 xx". If there's always going to be a space between the number and the street name, you could use DataText to Columns to split the addresses into one column for the numeric part and one column for the street name. Then use the street name as your primary key and the number as your secondary key.

Thanks

Re: Force a Sort Order? (2000)

Another option is to add spaces to the numbers to represent the "missing text":
    "x Main" becomes " x Main" (3 spaces)
    "xx Main" becomes " xx Main" (2 spaces)
    "xxx Main" becomes " xxx Main" (1 space)
    "xxxx Main" becomes "xxxx Main" (No spaces)

Then they will be sorted like numbers. There is no way to fix this without changing your way of keeping the data, either by separating the numbers out or adding the extra text, or writing your own VB sort routine.

The crux of the problem is that "101 " > "1000" since the first 2 characters are identical, so the sort is based on the third and 1 > 0.

Steve