3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

increase RAM questions

I have been told that 128 mb RAM I have on my Dell Dimension 4300 (P4 1.8 ghz 80 gb HDD ) is way too low for running xp home SP1 though I haven't had many problems...although when I'm in a photo editing program (say Paint shop Pro 7 ) I might get a problem and a message to say windows is increasing the virtual memory... so I would like to add more RAM .Having checked out prices my budget would be limited to buying at most a new 256mb memorychip set. Dell site says the max RAM the computer will take is up to 512mb.

Q1: do I have to keep the same size memory chip i.e. put a new 128mb alongside the existing 128mb therefore giving a total 256mb?

Q2: or can I put a new 256mb alongside the existing 128mb to give a toatal 384mb?

Q3: Would it be safer to buy this from Dell (at a premium price it seems) or shop around ?...Crucial seem to have a good reputation and are much cheaper.

Any advice or tips would be appreciated

Thanks

Re: increase RAM questions

Jay,

As long as the there is another empty slot for the RAM on the MB, and you get the same type of RAM stick that is specified for your system, just add the 256 and you will have a total of 384 as in Q2.

If you use the Crucial sites Excellent memory selector utility and specify the exact Dell 4300, I don't see why you can't use the Crucial stick in place of the Dell pricey one.

The increase in RAM will make a BIG difference in performance, without going to the pagefile so often and slowing things down.

Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Echo what Bob said - you should see a big difference. And to emphasize something else he said, please note ALL the specs that Dell (or the motherboard manufacturer) say are required for memory, such as voltage or whatever. All those specs are important. Go for it - you should be pleased.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I ordered a RAM stick from Crucial for my Dell and had absolutely no problems.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I had a small bit of trouble with crucial ram for a dell, but it's a fancy 1-U server. I sincerely doubt you'd have trouble with a dimension. Though, I'd go for a 512MB chip over a 256MB. You'll thank me for that later. If you're serious about photo editing you will likely want to shoot for the 1GB mark.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Best thing to do is call Crucial and tell them what you need.
    They will adise you.
    Check http://www.crucial.com/ for contact info, technical info and prices.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just supporting what a few have said about Crucial... I've used their memory in a Dell XPS266, Dell 4550, Dell 2300, a DIY build and a digital camera over the last few years. Have always been satisified with their service, quality and pricing!!!

I'll also reiterate what was said by others... get as much as your pocketbook will allow, your computer will respond in kind.

Cheers,
    Regards,
    Bob

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I will go ahead and get a new memory from Crucial. Just hearing from you guys with your re-assurance really puts my mind at ease.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Crucial and most of the others have a pretty decent selection hyperlink to match RAM to your system.

SMBP

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi Dean,

Not much point in going beyond 512Mb when "the max RAM the computer will take is up to 512mb". In fact, putting in more RAM than the system can handle may cause more problems than it solves.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Whoops, guess I missed that in the post. Sure enough if the board supports up to 512 then you cannot cross that limit. Although, it wouldn't hurt anything other than your wallet to put more in. The BIOS just doesn't have the bit support to count beyond the 512 limit.