Lounger
    Thanks

Updating database from 2000 to 2003 (2000/2003)

I have a database we used to track class participants that was created in Access 2000. When we upgraded to XP, we left the database in 2000 and everything worked super. We are now going to upgrade to 2003. When opening the database, we get four security warning windows we have to click through to open the database, but it seems to work as it should. Has anyone had enough experience with this to know if we will experience any pitfalls if we do not upgrade this database? Or, if we do upgrade, should we upgrade it to XP first, or can we upgrade directly from 2000 to 2003 without any problems?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Updating database from 2000 to 2003 (2000/2003)

Can you give us more details on the Security warnings? I've not worked with the production version of 2003, but the beta didn't give us any issues in running databases in the 2002 format, and I'm told that the production version can work with 2000 or 2002 format databases.
    Wendell

Lounger
    Thanks

Well, it seems that now we are down to two screens: 1) Security Warning: Unsafe expressions are not blocked. To block unsafe expressions, Microsoft Jet 4.0 Service Pack 8 or later must be installed. (My guess is that this would be a server issue, or I could be all wet and this needs to be on each macine). 2) This file may not be safe if it contains code that was intended to harm your computer.

He simply clicked "Yes" to the first warning, and "Open" on the second and the database opened. There were two additional warnings that he was receiving - something to do with VB code or macros, that did not appear this time.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Well that's the first I've heard of about Jet SP8 - and I would have expected it to be installed as a part of Office 2003 but it apparently hasn't. In fact <!mskb=829558>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 829558<!/mskb> was dated Oct 16, and has three flavors depending on what OS your PCs are running. Unfortunately it would need to be installed on all computers, as the Jet processing occurs in each local PC. I frankly wouldn't be too concerned about it unless you have lots of PCs that are exposed to the Internet, or if you are using replication in your database. More often than not, after a few folks try it, they discover some problems, as they did with SP7 for Jet. Maybe someone else has already had some experience.
    Wendell

Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you - I have passed this information on to our IT people as all our machines that are slated for replacement will have Windows XP/Office 2003 running on a Windows 2003 server.