Thread: Tags (2000)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Tags (2000)

Hello, I have eight options in a list box, these options are simple one words whose meaning and situation they apply to is contained in long unwieldy sentences that sit in the underlying table. Is there anyway I can attach a meaning tag to each item in the list box that tells users the meaning of what they are selecting. Or can you suggest a more appropriate solution?

Thanks Darren.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Tags (2000)

If the descriptive text is too long to display in listbox, but is saved in table, you can add an unbound textbox on form to display the description. Example - I have a table that lists reports by actual name, "friendly" name, report description, etc. A popup dialog form has listbox to list these reports. The listbox displays a report number, the "friendly" name, and some other data. The actual report name is in the (hidden) bound column of listbox. The report description column is also hidden (by setting column width to 0"). The unbound textbox next to report listbox displays report description for the selected item (single-select listbox). See attached illustration. The textbox's Enabled property is set to No, Locked to Yes, and ControlSource set to this expression:

=[list](3)

Note that the description is in 4th column; the Listbox Column index is zero-based. When user selects another item in list, the textbox automatically displays the new item's description, you don't have to explicitly refresh the textbox.

HTH
    Attached Images Attached Images

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Mark, I have a table 'people', with auto ID, Name, Description. On my form is a combo with people in called 'names', columns 1 and 3(id and description) are hidden by virtue of columns set at 0 width. As you have suggested I have an unbound text whose control source is =[names].[Column](3) but it don't like it. In the text box I am getting #name?, what am I likely doing wrong?

Thanks Darren.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Did you take note of Mark's remark that the column index is zero-based? The third column of the combo box is Column(2)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi folks, yes I did take note that the index is zero based. I am doing it against a combo rather than a list if that makes any difference?

Thanks Darren.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

No, there is no difference between list boxes and combo boxes in this respect. Check carefully that you don't have a typo in your expression.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

The only way I was able to reproduce #Name? error was by misspelling name of combobox in the textbox's ControlSource property (or by misspelling "Column"). Recommend double-check that combobox name is spelled correctly in the textbox's ControlSource.