Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Internet Explorer 6 Error Message (Windows XP Home; Ver. 5.1, SP1)

Can anyone tell me why I keep getting this error message when I am trying to access my new computer's Help and Support page (it's the generic Windows XP help page, modfied by Compaq, as near as I can tell from other helpful loungers):
    <Exception in DisplayIncidentList: 'null' is null or not an object.>

Hopefully,

Linda

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Internet Explorer 6 Error Message (Windows XP Home; Ver. 5.1, SP1)

Linda--

That Help and Support just won't leave you alone!

Here's the quickest way to fix it so I put it first. Go to Kelly's XP Tweaks and Fixes and click on Line 57 on the left "Restore Help and Support" and Choose Either Win XP or Win XP SP1 whichever you have.

Easy Cleaner will break (corrupt) Help and Support, but odds are you didn't run it.

You could use System Restore (You have XP) to a time before this happened.

Try going to the run box (Windows key +r) and typing in "helpctr -regserver".

You can also put in your Win XP CD, and reinstall it:

To reinstall Help and Support: Go to C:Windowsinfpchealth.inf. Right click and choose install. Have your CD handy. It's going to ask for it to get the file from the folder. Note: The folder is hidden by default. Go to Start/Run and type in: control folders. View: Show hidden files and folders and uncheck Hide extensions for known file types.

SMBP

Thanks

Does this come up in a dialog, similar to the dialog for web pages that contain script errors? If so, my first thought is that it probably cannot be fixed and should be ignored. However, there is a possibility that this "DisplayIncidentList" is (1)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Besides the error message can you open up and use Help and Support or not?

SMBP

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry to be slow getting back Am trying to answer all your questions at once.

First, most of the Help and Support site functions well, except for the Instant Support feature, which allows me to email Compaq with a question and get an "instant" reply to the Inbox of Help and Support's Instant Support. The reason I'm trying to fix this is that I am told, each time I start up, that I have instant messages waiting for me, but I can't access them.

Re. System Restore, that could be used as a last resort, but I've done so many installs since this first worked (in the first couple of weeks of operating the new computer) that I hesitate to take that step!

I have no Windows XP CD as it came installed on this Compaq. Sure would like to have a CD, however. It's the first time we've experienced an OEM install that didn't come with a Windows CD. Do you know if I can request one from Compaq?

No firewall on this computer, as far as I know. Certainly, I didn't install one (we use Norton Anti-Virus only).

Not sure about if the dialog box resembles the script error one. Tried to do a screen shot, but need more practice to be able to get rid of the white space. It's got a blue border, MS blue title line (which reads "Microsoft Internet Esplorer", message background is MS buff color and there is a ! mark warning inside a yellow triangle to the left of the "DisplayIncidentList" message line. Does that make sense?

Perhaps the best thing to do at this point is to go to Kelly's site and try that tweak suggested by SMBP. Right?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Taking the Compaq "retrieve a CD question" first Linda--I just know now that Compaq for I think all purposes has been absorbed into HP. So by all means request one but understand there is no Compaq anymore--it's HP.

I don't know what numbers they gave you and your model computer, but if nothing else I'd take that model and put it into google with the word support and keep searching with that until you get a number that works. I'd make every effort to get somekind of CD--they should have something you can get.

I would urge you to use System Restore. You're not going to lose any "installs" if you mean applications, and you may have to put in patches again, but the security site makes it an easy minor hassle--I'd just put them in one by one or so--and use that roll-up. This annoyance has been with you since day 1 when you got your XP and I guess a new computer. Time to ditch the annoyance. I mean it's not interferring with functionality that I can tell, so I guess it's giving you an instant message message about messages that aren't messages in reality--i.e. a false message that you have messages. Is there a box that won't go away or something like that?

You have a functional Help and Support that is carrying around an albatross of an anoyance.

You have to have a firewall--you can get a free Zonealarm. A firewall and antivirus are absolutely essential--like driving without brakes. I lost mine recently while driving, so I understand that concept. XP has one Linda in it--better than none at all to be sure. Just search Help and Support or read this--Microsoft is going to ship with it turned on but you have to turn it on--takes less than five seconds.

Screenshots to turn on the Firewall that Came With XP

More Screenshots--I really want you to turn it on

How To Use the XP Internet Connection Firewall

Don't Let the Defense Rest: Firewall from the XP Expert Zone Microsoft

Microsoft is going to turn on the firewall-- and disable Windows Messenger 6 hours ago October 28, 03

SMBP

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

SMBP,

You are unbelievable! Again! What a wealth of helpful information you provided!

I've just gone through all the screen shots and articles you included - and they all support your contention that I need a firewall, even if we do not have a network. This was new to me. It likely also explains why, when I hover over the network icon in the Quick Launch area, I get a message that says "Local Area Connection A network cable is unplugged". I've never set it up, not realizing that I should. Thank you.

One of the articles suggested that some ISPs won't work with Windows XP ICF and I should check with them first. Do you know an easy way to do this? We use AT&T for connection, but also host our small Web site on PowWeb, a hosting company. Or should I just set up the firewall and see what happens?

Re. Compaq and HP. I do realize they are now one. We've always used HP and had great success with both hardware (our LaserJet III printer - bought in 1990 - is still our office work horse!) and support. This has not applies to support this time around, however, as you know from earlier rants by me. I will try your suggestions to obtain a CD for Windows XP and let you know how I make out.

Current computer: Compaq Presario desktop, model S4000V; purchased July 2003. I like the Google idea and will search for a different phone number or site the way you suggested.

Finally, I do hear you re. System Restore. Didn't realize it wouldn't affect my application installs. Reloading all those patches, some of which were huge, doesn't excite me very much, but this annoyance with Help and Support is very annoying, as you said, so guess I'd better set aside a few hours and give it a try. Can you tell from the message itself if this is an Internet Explorer problem or an HP/ Compaq computer problem? Or does it matter at this point?

Once again, thank you so much. How you find the time to be so helpful to so many loungers on so many topics, I don't know - but I sure am glad you do!

Linda

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Linda--

Will do better on this tonight when I get home but two things you must have network or not are antivirus with updated definitions and firewall protection and preferably well worth spending money on a router for its hardware firewall capability if nothing else, because a hardware firewall is the best for hiding you. The bad rap on the XP firewall is that it does not protect well from Trojans and blended threats shipping information out in many elaborate ways--although it can be configured to be better than default. If you look around you can get a wired router for fifty to sixty bucks that will protect you--wireless are more.

See

How Hackers Write Viruses

Will find a couple good firewall comparison links for you later and try to talk you into a router.

SMBP

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

SMBP,

I understand. Will check out your link for further information on firewalls and, meanwhile, will install the XP one. I plan to email and/or call my ISPs to confirm compatability first.

The Google search for the CD worked! I got a number, called HP/ Compaq and the XP CD is in the mail! Free. Thank you for that suggestion, too.

Linda

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Linda--

I want to make one thing clear. There are two types of protection for your computer essential to do well. A competent firewall and antivirus with definitions updated daily and more often if special conditions warrant. The so-called ICF by Microsoft is built in or "native" and certainly you should turn it on. But it filters incoming traffic only, and a malicious program planted on your computer is not stopped from traffic out and even turning off the firewall you're using now. So I have one two words for it--totally inadequate, and frankly I don't know anyone at MS or anywhere else who would rely on it.

They will begin shipping XP soon with it turned on, but you cannot configure ICF to do something essential which is to stop information on your computer from being shipped out no matter how it's configured. They say they will fix this behavior in security revamps in Longhorn--maybe so, but we're talking 2005 there.

Take a look at these:

Difference Between Hardware and Software Firewalls

Scroll Down to Limitations of Firewalls and Apply this information to having a connection to the internet Network or no Network and read on

Windows 2000 and XP Security

These get the point across.

SMBP

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

SMBP,

Thanks. Will read through references in your last 2 posts to be sure I understand firewalls and their differences. Appreciate the extra info - more learning and, therefore, understanding! First, I'll turn on ICF so at least there is some sort of firewall in here!

Linda

PS Re. Windows XP CD of earlier posts: it arrived yesterday. Opened box to find the complete set of 7 Compaq System Recovery Disks (I'd already burned a set of my own on the advice of the computer manual!) instead of a single Windows XP CD, as I was expecting. Call back to HP today reveals that Windows XP is on there, integrated with all the software and drivers Compaq put on the computer before shipping. Support guy said that is the way it's done now, unless you buy the OS retail. Does this sound right to you? Do I need to chase around further for an "XP-only" CD? Only wanted to have it in case I ever needed what was on it. Some things in manuals ask you to find things on the CD. Support person suggested everything was on the hard drive already and could be turned on that way. Yes?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

You shouldn't have to chase around for an XP only CD--I would think you would be fine with the one on there, and that's the division or contrast of the way it's done between OEM purchased software and software purchased that is free standing when it comes to Windows. I prefer if I can to get the OS out of the box with the support episodes and oftentimes the XP on recovery discs may not have the Recovery Console or other features that are part of a regular Windows. With laptops and notebooks, often they come with OEM software including Recovery Discs.

I would be somewhat careful of the drivers though, because often times they are dated.

SMBP

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Once again, thank you. Now I do feel better about the CD thing. Yes, I'd prefer too to have "the" one, but likely have what I need for most purposes with the recovery ones. Time will, no doubt, tell.

Linda

PS Right now, I'm back at your earlier post on that old Help and Support thing. So far, have tried your first suggestion re. Kelly's Korner. Found the site and downloaded the fix for XP SP1, but when I doubleclick on the .exe icon to start it up (I saved it to my downloads folder first), I get sent to My Documents and am asked to type in a file name to open it. The "file type" box has "Help file" pre-printed in it. Trouble is, I don't know what to type in! Have I done something wrong?