2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Combo in Query (A2000)

Hi all

Simple question from a simple person

I have a table on which I want to base a query, the table does not have a combo on it, I thought that if I created a blank form and put a combo on it using the information from the tbl I could somehow use it in the query but I only seem to be allowed to select a table or another query in query design.

I have been through my notes and I am sure that what I need to do is add a statement to link the form. What I have tried is to select a country field from my table and in the criteria line typed [FORMS]![Country]![Combo2] but when I run the query it does not open a combo box.

Am I putting the statement (if it is correct) into the wrong place or am I barking up the wrong tree altogether?

Thanks

Steve

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Combo in Query (A2000)

Queries don't work that way, and in a serious database, that shouldn't be a problem, since you should never let the end user work with a table or query directly. The end user should only view and edit data in a form.

You can use a combo box on a form to filter the records displayed in that form, or to open another form that displays filtered records.

During development, you can test by opening the form and selecting a value in the combo box, then opening the query.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans

I am trying (very trying I know) is to make a query in the following way

Please select a country = Drop down
    Please enter weight = user type in
    Result = Rate, transit time.

When I have this I intend to make it a form (along with many other queries that I have) and to put them on a switchboard. What I can't resolve though is how to get the combo into the query process, I have tried searching archives and phrased the question in several ways but I can't seem to find the solution.

Cheers

Steve

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

As I wrote in my previous reply, queries don't work that way. You can't have a parameter in a query itself that displays a dropdown list.