New Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2002 - Mail Merge Query (Word 2002/SP2)

I wonder if someone could help me with a problem that I am having with mail merge.

The mail merge letter and data source were initially created using Word 97/NT4 and it worked fine with no problems. We have now moved onto Windows XP/Word 2002 in a Citrix Environment. Now when we run the same mail merge in 2002, an error appears saying that "Record 1 contained too many data fields". The error appears three times on the screen and we click okay to each message. After the last message one merged letter appears.

I don't really fully understand how mail merge works from a technical point of view so you will just have to bear with me.

I have tried a number of things. I created a new letter template in Word 2002 and reinserted the appropriate fields.

I have used the mail merge helper to re-attach the data source and the header source and this hasn't worked either.

The field delimiter (I think this is what it is called) is set to tab and the record delimiter is set to enter!

Can anyone point me in the right direction of what else to try?

Thanks,
    Teresa Hosie.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word 2002 - Mail Merge Query (Word 2002/SP2)

Hi Teresa:
    Although I could not find anything listed for Word 2002, this has been a problem in Word 97 & Word 2000 when you click View data source & then edit data source, when using a separate header file. Both Word 97 & Word 2000 have KB articles, so I imagine that the problem hasn't been resolved in Word 2002.

See if the Word 97 article or the Word 2000 article will help.
    Cheers,

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word 2002 - Mail Merge Query (Word 2002/SP2)

Hi Phil,

Just wanted to write to say thanks for replying to my post. I eventually had to recreate the merge letter and reattach the data source.

Regards,
    Teresa.