Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot open any more databases (A2k)

Hi everyone.

I've spent three days trying to find an answer to my problem. It's time to post. [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I have a complex report with 11 subreports in it. The report previews to the screen fine but when I try to print it I get the error message "Cannot open any more databases." I can't seem to find any information about this error in the MS KB or in the online Help.

(The report used to preview/print just fine. No changes have been made to the design of the report.)

Is there some kind of a limit to the number of data tables/queries that can be opened at one time?

Does this error sound familiar to anyone, and if so, what causes it?

I know this is a vague question. I'm hoping someone might be familiar with the error.

Thanks for any help...
    Sam

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cannot open any more databases (A2k)

Do you have linked tables in the database and if so, are they involved directly or indirectly in the report?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I do have linked tables that are involved directly in the report. The tables currently reside on several back-end databases on the network server although I have tried moving the back-ends to my local and relinking. The same result: Cannot open any more databases.

Were you thinking network issues? [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]
    Sam

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

The following information may or may not be useful: [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

A google search returned a couple of posts (in other groups) related to this issue - but without a solution. TableID limits were mentioned in the posts I found and one poster said that each linked table is the equivalent of two table ID's. KB Article #165272 (Can't open any more tables) mentions that Jet 3.0 and 3.5 allow a maximum of 1,024 open table id's at one time. Jet 3.51 allows 2,048.

I'm using Jet 4.0 and I can't find the limit for it, but there's no way I'm over the limits of even Jet 3.0. This is assuming that each table used in my report equals two table id's.

I've never heard of tableid limits before. Are there other situations that would increase the number of table id's used?

Sam

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The limit of table ID's for Jet 4.0 is 2,048 (I believe).

The number of used table ID's can increase rapidly. Each linked table uses up two of them, as does each combo box and list box that has a linked table as row source. A query involving three linked tables uses up 3x2 = 6 ID's; a list box or combo box or form based on such a query uses 6 ID's too, etc. So the numbers multiply like rabbits.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

I guess I need to see where I can streamline this report a bit...

Thanks,
    Sam

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just wanted to report back and let anyone following this post that I did solve my problem by streamlining my queries a bit.

Thanks for your help, Hans!
    Sam