New Lounger
    Thanks

Chkdsk or Chkntfs (XP Pro)

When running Norton Speedisk to defrag my main C drive, I checked the box to allow it to verify the drive integrity. Comes back with the message that the integrity check failed and to run chkdsk /f

I hesitate to do this, having heard many 'not good things' about the ffects of running ckdsk! Apart from this one message, everything else is fine and my system works perfectly. Speedisk also completes successfully . Any advice on this or on runnning chkdsk?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Chkdsk or Chkntfs (XP Pro)

These commands are disk management command line tools. In brief if you suspect that a faulty hard disk is a problem or get an error message in or out of Event Viewer that one might be, you can run chkdsk and verify your suspicions. This performs a check of the hard disk and alerts you to and can fix problems. The most common command is to check and fix the disk. I much prefer running chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console. It seems to be the most competent and implies (includes the other major disk fix switches.

Chkntfs isn't a chkdsk option--it comes into the picture when after an improper shutdown, Windows restarts and runs chkdsk automatically. For very large gig or terabyte file systems, this can take a good while--hours but I have never had it take long on my machines--YMMV here. You may decide it is better to have the system restart automatically without running chkdsk on certain volumes. This is where chkntfs comes in. With it, you can disable chkdsk from running automatically, preventing a slow system restart after failure. It can also be helpful with so-called dirty bit problems. You could use chkntfs to disable chkdsk from automatically running if you thought a drive were dirty by typing the command Chkntfs /X/E if you wanted to set it to chk the E drive.

The "dirty" bit is a bit in the boot sector (for FAT or FAT32 volumes), or in the MFT (for NTFS volumes), that is checked when Windows starts. This bit is checked to determine whether corruption has been detected in the file system. If the dirty bit is set on a volume, Autochk runs to correct any errors on the volume. On NTFS volumes, the dirty bit is typically set only if the file system has detected potential corruption. See these KB's because I think they will help context chkdsk and chkntfs:

314835: An Explanation of CHKDSK and the New /C and /I Switches

322275: An Fsutil Query Does Not Work Properly on FAT or FAT32 Volumes

Chkdsk - Creates and displays a status report for the disk. The chkdsk command also lists and corrects errors on the disk. For a full description of the Chkdsk command, use Chkdsk as the search term in Help and Support Center on the Start Menu.

These links should help:

What is Chkntfs?

CHKNTFS.EXE: What You Can Use It For: Officially Written for Win 2K Apply to XP No Problem

Chkntfs Technet

Chkntfs

I think these previous lounge threads may also help you in seeing how chkdsk differs from chkntfs with real problems including dirty bits:

Chkdsk Error XPP February 11, 2003

Chkdsk Win XP September 28, 2003

SMBP

New Lounger
    Thanks

Ran the fsutil query and it told me the disk was NOT dirty. According to one of the referenced threads, I could have left it there, but I ran the chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console and it informed me that the errors had been fixed - whatever they were. So everything is now completed...... Thanks for the advice.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I really believe from what I can dig up, and discussions with several people at companies like Exec Soft who deal with disc problems day in and day out that running from the Recovery Console and using the chkdsk /r switch is the best and can fix problems more competently from the RC than running from the gui or a command line. There are web discussions that also support this and of course it would be nice to have a lab like MS research document this. It helped me out of a dirty bit and continuous loop problem where chkdsk would not stop running at start which is where I ran into the fsutil query. And of course when doing something gets your tail out of a jam makes you more of a believer, but it's not a double blind multi centered scientific vindication of anything but I run chkdsk /r from the RC from time to time and have always been pleased with results.

Notice on these switches and fsutil while you can find KB's on them, that searching Help and Support can yield some good articles and one of the nice strengths that MS has worked on in XP is to add links on the web and KB articles that are pretty complete to any search you do in Help and Support. I think this is one of the nice pluses in XP that may not be done as well in 2K. But it's considerable help to me sometimes. Of course you can go out and search engine.

SMBP

New Lounger
    Thanks

Just wondering if there is a log file or record of what chkdsk /r does fix? It would be nice to know just out of curiosity?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Errors that have been fixed should show up in Event Viewer. Put "eventvwr.msc" in the run box (no quotes)>(or Programs>Adm. Tools>Event Viewer)>Application>Scroll>Look for Autochk. under Source.

SMBP

New Lounger
    Thanks

Searched in the Event Viewer and there are no entries at all under Autochk. Hope that's a good thing...........!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Theoretically it is. Hope your machine is behaving well. Also check out
    Lab Mice Chkdsk for some good articles and you can search for "chkntfs" also. I find that a useful site.

SMBP