Star Lounger
    Thanks

Excel keeps resetting (Excel2000)

I have a user whose Excel settings keep resetting every couple of months and reverting back to defaults. This includes any changes made in toolbars.

I have tried to by-pass this by creating custom toolbars for the user, so that any reset should not affect them. But it does. The custom toolbars have simply disappeared.

Can anyone tell me why this is happening? And more important, how I can either keep it from happening or create a quick restore when it does?

Thanks
    Ofra

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Excel keeps resetting (Excel2000)

Toolbar customizations (both custom-built toolbars and modifications to built-in toolbars) are kept in a file with extension .xlb. For Excel 2000 it's probably named Excel9.xlb. Its location depends on the operating system; on my PC (Excel 2002 on Windows XP) it is in Cocuments and SettingsusernameApplication DataMicrosoftExcel, under Windows NT it was somewhere in C:WinNT.
    Anyhow, once the user has customized the toolbars, let him/her make a copy of the .xlb file. The customizations can be reloaded by double clicking the copied .xlb file.
    Many other Excel settings are kept in the Windows Registry, under HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice9.0Excel. These settings can be exported to a .reg file. Double clicking the .reg file will restore the settings.

Thanks

In addition to Hans' comments, I would add, that I have seen "poor programming" in addins and XL files that are responsible for resetting the defaults.

Programmers will customize (add or delete) items from the menu or toolbars. After they are done instead of learning how to "restore" the user's settings, they take the easy way out and will just use the "reset" method for the command bar they changed. Reset sets the command bar to its default, it does not restore.

I keep a backup copy of my xlb file for cases like this.

Steve

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. I wish I understood why this happens (and it seems to be happening again and again in one station, and not at all on a few dozen others, including my own; and I know it is not a user problem), but at least the *.xlb backup will allow me to get the user back up when it does.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I cannot blame properammers or add-ins, though I wish I could. This is a straight default installation, with no extra add-ins or even user macros. But hopefully the *.xls backup will save me the next time it happens (upset users tend to blame support staff when things go wrong [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img] )

Thanks

Thanks

I don't just refer to the "pros". The amatuers can be pretty destructive.

It doesn't have to be an add-in. It can be a standard macro created by a friend or colleague, in which they thought it "neat" to play with the commandbars and then reset it when done, not realizing that reset is not the same as restore (and there is no restore, anyway!: you have to do that part yourself)

Steve

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I know the user well. He is paranoid. No one is allowed to touch his computer, and I'm the only one besides him who knows his password; he himself only does what he needs and has no adventure spirit; and specifically the first thing I checked to make sure no addins or macros are installed. 100% off-the-box installation in this regard. Nor does his computer have any irregular software installed, which is not installed on other computers in the building; he does not download from the internet...

I should resign myself to another of the great Microsoft mysteries, but I just hate not understanding.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I think Steve's point is that your user could be opening a spreadsheet that has a macro that resets the the toolbars. If you tell me your user never opens other people's spreadsheets, then I would say he is the most cautious user in the land.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I now understand what you were trying to say, and will check with the user and if he does open files prepared by others I'll check them. However, knowing this user he probably _is_ the most cautious user in the world [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img].

I appreciate all your help. I have learnt a lot and will be able to apply this new knowledge to other problems as well.