Thread: Good software!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Good software!

I've been kissing a lot of frogs lately, but I managed to find a few software applications worthy of the title "Prince." After downloading and sampling scores of applications, I recommend the following:
    <UL><LI> Rescoe File Explorer. The built-in "explorer" is probably one of the worse applications on the PPC. Rescoe's version is exactly the sort of program you would want to use to check out the contents of your device. I'm astounded that MS didn't include something like this application in the OS.

<LI> WorldMate from mobimate.com is for the traveler. It has clocks for five locations; a rough world map; a fabulous currency exchange application; a unit converter for volume, speed, area, etc.; international dialing prefixes; clothing sizes and a packing list for your baggage. It will even synch with weather.com to give you the current forcast for wherever you specifiy. Very nice.

<LI> uBook Reader from gowerpoint.com is everything an e-book reader should be ... fast. Although I've put together a nice collection of MS Reader lit files, I'm ready to delete them because after using uBook, there's no going back to that horrible MS application. It does a nice job with HTML files too. The only real downside of uBook is that the interface is really weird.

<LI> Rescoe Picture Viewer. I thought the built-in picture viewer was pretty good, but then I tried Rescoe's offering and was blown away. If you're a photographer, you'll loooove this application. It's as close to a PPC version of ThumbsPlus as you're going to see. It even comes with a desktop application so you can manage your albums.

<LI> eWallet from iliumsoft.com is great for keeping track of all your credit cards, frequent flyer numbers, passwords, calling card numbers, etc. I don't know enough about encryption to tell you how secure this one is, but it's better than leaving the information in note form (although I use my own form of MUNGing to keep these things secure). This application has way too many features to list.

<LI> Saving the best for last, Battery Pack from omegaone.com. This should have been pre-installed on the OS. It's actually two applications. The less interesting, but still important is the Battery Bar. It tells you how much power you have left, as well as information about memory. The killer app part of this set is the Program Bar. This is a set of icons on your Today screen which enable you to launch the application of your choice with one click. You can have dozens of the little suckers ready to go, if you so desire. It works something like your desktop that way.[/list]If you've found some gems, please let me know!

3 Star Lounger
    Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
    Thanks

Re: Good software!

1. Pocket Informant knocks the spots off the built in apps. I couldn't organise myself without it. Good on-line forum www.pocketinformant.com.

2. SmallMenu from Tillanosoft. Gives a real nice drop down menu/task manager. Not easy to configure but worth the effort.

3. Repligo is a good alternative to e-Reader and competition for Acrobat Reader. You get easy to read documents with an interface from MS Word. Needs search/indexing - but then so do the others.

4. PocketTV from www.pocketTV.com is great for showing mpegs - and free.

Cheers