Thanks

Compatability (Office XP)

I have Office XP Standard for teachers and students, and it does not include either MS Access or more importantly MS Publisher. I have Office 2000 with both of those on the CD, and would like to know if I can install them on the same computer with Office XP w/o doing any damage!!...
    Thanks
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Compatability (Office XP)

If you want to mix versions, you should always install the older version first, so I'm afraid that you would have to uninstall Office XP Standard, then install Office 2000 Pro (or only Access 2000), and finally re-install Office XP again. Office XP should be installed in a different folder than Office 2000, but that is the default (...Office vs. ...Office10), so it shouldn't be a problem

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I think you will find that Publisher is a separate program and is NOT really part of "Office"., even if you get it with the "Premium" package. My Publisher is on a separate CD from the Office CD.

Now the Access program, should be installed first and then the newer version of Office.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

John--

A number of questions came up on this type situation with Office 2003 and earlier versions/editions and their preservation so during the past week I sought information from Microsoft Office's Home Office on this situation. I received email from one of the International Product Managers for Office and I also was fortunate enough to have another Microsoft Office employee expert and several Word/Office MVP's weigh in. I will post the info and the email soon.

The separate folder advice is very sound, but there is a parallel situation with older versions and Office XP installs and older versions and Office 2003 installs. In the setup just as in Office 2003 there seems to be a very clear cut option to retain your old programs when they are different versions and even whether to retain an older version of the same application if someone chose. Besides the info I obtained from the product managers at MS for 2003 that is completely parallel, I am referencing two books, and one KB and quoting Woody's:

Special Edition Using Office XP by Ed Bott and Woody Leonhard

Office XP Inside Out MS Press Michael Halvorson and M ichael J. Young

290576: OFF XP: Running Multiple Versions of Office

</u>Woody and Ed's Book pp. 1067-1068:</u>

"If you want to use your previous version of Office programs, choose Customize at the initial setup screen. When you see the dialogue box that asks you if you want to remove previously installed applications (Figure A.5), inspect the list of available programs and clear the check mark next to any box you want to keep. Note that you cannot run two versions of Outlook on the same computer.

In general, Office XP does a good job of respecting earlier versions of Office. All your preferences, for example, are stored in separate branches of the registry based on the version number, so customizations you make in one program will not affect the other."

Woody and Ed go on to talk about "side effects", but those side effects are only seen when you keep multiple concommitant versions of the same application from different versions of Office:

"Launching document icons lanches the XP version of the program; some incompatibilities exist between file formats and using an Office 97 program to edit a file created in Office XP might expose these differences; because of changes in VBA object models or capabilities, macros you create in Office XP might not work properly when opened in earlier Office versions--this is especially true of Outlook macros, because Outlook 97 and Outlook 98 do not support VBA."

You're not trying to do that here.

I am not going to bother to quote the MS Press book, because it says essentially the same thing as Woody's.

hth,

SMBP

Thanks

Thanks everyone for all your help. Cant tell you how much I appreciate it
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)