2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Macro Security (2002)

I have a merged cell text wrapping VB script in my workbook. See <post#=270876>post 270876</post#> for more info on the script.
    The workbook needs to have a high security level. How can I add this script to my trusted sources?

(Edited by HansV to activate link to post - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Macro Security (2002)

Are you sure about this post number? I made it into a link, but it points to a post by <!profile=braddy60>braddy60<!/profile>

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I was not a part of that particular thread, but it shows the wrapping text in merged cells VB script that I am currently using.
    My question however is not related to the functionality of the script, it is related to being able to use this script when the security setting is set to "High".
    I need to figure out a way to add this script to the trusted sources.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Code has to be signed in order to be covered by the Trusted Sources procedures. I am not aware of any way to sign VB Script. If you could turn the Script into VBA - which shouldn't be too difficult - then you should be able to sign the VBA Project. Hope This Helps
    Gre

Thanks

I guess I am a little confused (ignorant) of the nomenclature. What is VB Script and how is it different than the VB i/we write in excel?

Also, as far as I know, the code that is referenced in that thread is VBA code. It is code that I posted and is just Normal code for excel.

I have stayed out of this discussion since I know nothing about macro security in XL2002, since my XL is only XL97 and the only security is prompting to enable or disable macros when opened.

Thanks,
    Steve

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

You are quite right. The term "VB script" is inaccurate in this context and the poster is in fact referring to VBA.

In order to set up a simple ceretificate, one can use SelfCert.exe in the C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice directory. The certificate will then be available for signing through the Tools option on the VBE Worksheet Menu Bar. You do have to lower your default Macro security level, when first running the Workbook containing the signed code, to get the option to trust the signer.

In relation to the question as to what is the difference between VB script and VBA, this is an attempted overview on VB - as it now is.

To look at it one way: there are (now) 4 main kinds of VB:<UL><LI>VBScript - which runs in *.vbs files. It is relatively simple, being used for logon scripts, web pages, parts of Outlook and the ILoveYou virus. It does not have strongly typed variables. Everything is a Variant. <LI>VBA - which we know and love. This is application-specific - viz Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Visio. It does have strongly typed variables. On Word, it has taken over from WordBasic. <LI>VB - now at version 6.0. It could be said that VBA is a subset of VB, but VB is different enough not to run automatically on a VB application such as Excel. VB is not hosted inside an application. In theory, you can build a database application either using VB or using Access and its VBA. (In practice, Access has a number of additional built-in features that make it far more efficient.) <LI>VB.Net - which is part of the new Net initiative. It is being put forward as superseding traditional VB. This is a serious step beyond the other versions; including "proper" object-orientation and inheritance. At present, there is a large question mark over how the flexibility of Office VBA can be adapted to the far more rigorous technical knowledge required to work with VB.Net.[/list]
    Gre

Thanks

Thank you for the "education".

I am (personally) only familiar with VBA (and really VBA for excel) since I know the other office products are "slightly" different. From what I understand it is primarily in the object model.

I know of VB (and have never used), know really nothing of VB script. I suppose in the future if(when) Miscrosoft goes to VB.net and my company goes to that version (we are still in XL97) I will have to learn VB.net.

Again, thanks.
    Steve

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the input guys. I will test your suggestion as soon as I get the chance.
    I apologize for my incorrect terminology, didn't mean to cause so much confusion. I am well versed in VB (as I have built several applications), and I wasn't sure of the correct term for VBA. The reason I called it scripting was because it seems like a dulled down version of VB to me. However, thanks for clearing that up for me.

As for discussion on VB.net, I haven't used it much, but I am well versed in object oriented programming. As I understand, .net is Microsoft's attempt to join the OOP side of development.

Thanks

Seems to me you were only confused as to the "level" it was dumbed-down to: VB-script being lower than VBA.

Steve

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I didn't mean say VBA is "dumbed-down", but simply not as functional.

-naut

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I got another question related to all this:
    I need to post the workbook on the internet so that multiple end users can fill it out (the workbook is a form). Is it possible to locally enable all the VBA macros so that all the users can enter info into the form no matter what their local Excel security settings are?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

You might be able to do this via the Network Server using a logon script. I don't know whether you employer's IT Security Policy would be amenable to that.
    Gre

Thanks

Sorry, I misquoted you. You had "dulled down"

Steve