Thread: QuickView

MichaelCollins

QuickView

I've been asked to find out if there's a way to update the QuickView (QuickViewer?) that comes with the WinWhatever OS. Our legal office has around 600 machines running Win9x with Office97 and a third party document manager called Tapestry, and the Preview function in Tapestry won't work except on Win98 machines. Tapestry's tech support is convinced the problem lies in the version of QuickView that comes with Win98, versus that in Win95 (A or B; we have both, but all should be at SR-2a). Trouble is, both Win95 and Win98 show the QuickViewer version number as 1.00. Further, the MS Knowledgebase and MSDN are strangely quiet on the subject except in reference to Office 2001 for the Mac. There's a note that QuickView is not installed or supported in Win2K (but is available through a 3d-party vendor), and there are a number of mentions in nonhelpful contexts (e.g., "Right-click to view the file in QuickView"), but I'm not seeing anything helpful. Nothing here in the Lounge, either.

This problem just landed in my lap a couple hours ago, and I'm still working what questions to ask. Any thoughts? Thanks, everyone.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: QuickView

I don't think QV was ever updated and probably never will be - it's no longer included with the OSs. There is a commercial version, QV Plus, at http://www.jasc.com

The problem may not necessarily be with QV but older dlls in Win95.

MichaelCollins

Thanks. I had found in a Microsoft FAQ dealing with Win2K a reference to Inso Corp. as the third-party developer of QV Plus, but Inso didn't lead me to their licensee, Jasc Software, as you did. On the whole, I think you're on the right track with the DLL approach. This has been helpful.

ileacy

QV V5.1.1 is also available on the (heresy)Corel Office 2000 CD. Components are also included in PowerDesk.

The latest v5 service update is available at
    http://www.jasc.com/patches.asp?.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I know they've got versions after 5. I have 6.01