2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access Project Security (Access 2000 / MSDE)

I've developed a client / server access project with an MSDE back-end. I'm launching the database via a shortcut as follows...

"C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeMSACCESS.EXE" ProjectPathAndName.adp /wrkgrp WORKGROUP.mdw

When I launch from this command line, Access does not prompt me to sign on...however, if I pass the user & password switches as follows...

"C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeMSACCESS.EXE" ProjectPathAndName.adp /wrkgrp WORKGROUP.mdw /user DMORLEY /pwd PASSWORD

...I am signed on correctly. How do I get Access to prompt for sign-on if the User & password switches are not included...??

Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Access Project Security (Access 2000 / MSDE)

Is your access project an ADP or a MDB file? Access User Security is only effective with a MDB - for ADP projects you have to use the SQL Server security model, which means you have to set your permissions at the table, view or stored procedure level. Unfortunately, the MSDE doens't include any real tools to do that, so you might want to look at getting the Developer version of SQL Server - it includes the Enterprise Manager which gives you a decent interface for setting permissions. Otherwise you are restricted to using the system level stored procedures, which can get really tedious.
    Wendell

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for reply...

Yes, it's an ADP file, backend is MSDE for this db, but I do have the Enterprise version of SQL Server (and all client tools) for some other systems I administer.

I'm just trying to sign the user on, so that the 'CurrentUser' method of the Access application is set. Actual permissions aren't the concern here, I just want to take advantage of some of Access's functionality on the client side...

By passing the /user switch via the /wrkgrp switch, the CurrentUser method is Set and works correctly, so is there any other way to get the CurrentUser set without passing switches...?

Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Your getting in to an area I haven't explored - we use the SQL Server login to track who did what when using SQL Server triggers where necessary. Have you tried setting the default .mdw path using the Access Workgroup Administrator Utility? I sort of doubt that will be effective for an ADP, but it's worth a try.
    Wendell