Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Petersburg, Virginia
    Posts
    54
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Write conflict (XP, sp2)

    When entering data into Access (linked to SQL table) I receive an error message indicating a Write Conflict and giving me an option to copy to clipboard or drop changes. Message says I can examine values I entered onto clipboard as well as those entered by other user and paste mine back in if desired. However, there doesn't appear to be another user. I am allowed to enter data into some fields but not all before getting this message. Once I re-open a record to edit the partial data saved, I receive a similar message upon changing data and leaving the record.

    This is a recent phenomenon with this table and does not appear to occur with other SQL tables accessed by the same application.

  2. #2
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Evergreen, CO, USA
    Posts
    6,624
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 60 Times in 60 Posts

    Re: Write conflict (XP, sp2)

    What version of SQL Server are you using? I have seen similar problems when trying to edit a record on a subform with SQL Sever 2000.
    Wendell

  3. #3
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Petersburg, Virginia
    Posts
    54
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Write conflict (XP, sp2)

    I am told we have SQL version 8

  4. #4
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Evergreen, CO, USA
    Posts
    6,624
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 60 Times in 60 Posts

    Re: Write conflict (XP, sp2)

    I did a bit of digging into history - the problem we experienced most often was related to Access saving a record and then having a trigger in SQL Server doing some archive processing for that record, and seemed to happen most often when a subform was doing data entry. In our case, you could actually save the data once you clicked OK to the error message. We concluded it had to do with the main record being saved by Access when we entered a subform control, and it only seemed to happen to some people with any regularity. Sorry to not be able to be more precise - we didn't get a chance to really nail it down and fix it.

    To debug it further, I would start by checking to see if there are any triggers on the SQL table giving you the problem. It could also be some data integrity checks in SQL Server causing the problem - the error messages that are returned from SQL Server tend to be garbled by the combination of the ODBC driver and Access. Hope this helps - let us know how you fare.
    Wendell

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •