Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Missing Floppy Drive

As the title suggests, I have 'lost' my floppy disc in Windows 2000. In Device Manager, Floppy Disc Drive has a yellow exclamation mark, and Drive A does not appear in My Computer. Needless to say I have tried re-installing the drivers for the drive and its controller, both from the existing Windows Directory and the original CD. No avail.
    Even Repairing the installation does not bring it back. I suspect that it is the 'My Compter' part which is wrong, but I can't find where the details this comes up with are stored. About all I've managed to do to get it back is to install Win2k into a different folder, but this wipes out all my apps installations, as it builds a new Registry. Is there anything I can usefully do?

Thanks

Re: Missing Floppy Drive

Try
    Q275180 Windows 2000 Claims IRQ-6 Settings Even If Floppy Disk Controllers Are Not Present
    otherwise I would guess at a hardware/connector problem.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have had a problem which sounds almost identical, after setting up Windows 2000 after a crash on the same computer that did not give this problem in Windows 2000 before. Otherwise my new installation is pefect but this little bug is annoying. It can't be hardware because the floppy is there before you go into Windows. I found that by deleting the floppy controller and restarting it restores the floppy and all is well until you reboot. Then it goes wrong again.
    Looks like a bug with Windows to me. Any suggestions appreciated. I will try the ones already made by Leif.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi
    First try this :

New Lounger
    Thanks

MerC,
    I don't know if you resolved this problem. If it is error 31 and you are using InoculateIT uninstall the virus program and download and reinstall it. If that doesn't work open IPE go to help>virus info>index>startup problems. Do what is says. IF you have IPE it won't let the floppy drivers boot. The error is a software issue not a hardware one. I spent 3 days with the case open trying to get mine back. If you don't have IPE I would look for something that is booting up in hidden devices in Device Manager. Hope this isn't to late and it helps you.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Tanya
    Thanks for the tip. However, as you may see from the message immediately before yours, I managed to bring back the floppy. I have since updated and re-installed InoculateIt without any further problems. I do not seem to be able to reproduce your error on my machine.

Rgds