2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Show New Autonumber (2002)

I'm working with an access database that contains tables linked to a SQL Server 2000 database. I have one data entry form linked to one of the linked tables on which the ID field is an identity seed field in SQL Server (the equivalent of the Access autonumber). Right now, the value for the ID field is ony filled when the user closes the form. How can I get it to fill when he opens the form, before adding any other information? Do I have to write code for this or can I get it through setting some sort of property on the form or the ID field?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Show New Autonumber (2002)

I found a solution! I'm doing a refresh on the form in the after_update event procedure of one of the bound controls. This causes SQL Server to assign the id and shows it on the form.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

The refresh is actually causing the record to be written to the SQL server. Apparently SQL server works slightly different than Access when assigning an autonumber; Access assigns it as soon as a new record is dirtied. SQL apparently assigns it when the new record is written.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It certainly seems like that's what's going on. Thanks! [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Mark is correct - SQL Server only assigns the autonumber value when the record is written. That can be an issue if you want to do something from VBA using DAO where you need the autonumber value as a foreign key. It also rears it's head occasionally with subforms.
    Wendell