3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

CAlCULATION OF CUSUM (2000)

I have accident data in a hospitals, there are about on average 10 work related (plus or minus 3) accidents per month in a the average large hospital. I need to compute the CUSUM every month for each hospital, that would generate an alarm if there is an larger than expected. I need a reference or a xl file with real data on how to do this in xl.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: CAlCULATION OF CUSUM (2000)

A Google search for Excel Cusum should yield something useful. The first hit I got was http://www.stat.umn.edu/users/cusum/software.htm - various spreadsheets for download.

Thanks

I am not sure CUSUM is the best tool, I would think that an "attributes chart" dealing with ratios might be better (eg a proportions chart) or even a "count chart" to treat the accidents like "defects", but I have few details to give an "informed" decision.

This site gives a spreadsheet example to make a CUSUM chart, though it doesn't give a lot of details on how to choose the "h" and "k" values, just some suggested ranges.

Steve

New Lounger
    Thanks

I agree that attribute charts are a more useful way to go. Have a look here for downloadable Excel tools: http://www.freequality.org/beta freequal/fq web site/tools.htm#chart. There is a cusum tool on this page as well. You could also Google 'Statistical Process Control' or SPC for more resources.

Graeme