2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

API Viewer for VBA? (VB6 VBA )

Hi gurus:

Here's a challenge. VB has a neat addin called the API Viewer that shows you the declare statements, types and constants needed for API calls. I'd LOVE to run it from my Access development environment, but VB's addin file extension doesn't work. Anybody know how?

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: API Viewer for VBA? (VB6 VBA )

Why don't you just start the API viewer by itself? It is a stand-alone application. You can easily switch back and forth using Alt+Tab or the task bar. Use the Copy button in the API viewer, then paste the selected definition(s) into your Access code.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Alan,
    just wondering... some googling revealed this page providing a help file which might be the one you use:
    http://www.helpmaster.com/hlp-develo...ds-hdg2api.htm
    Could it be...?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

There is a stand-alone and more current API viewer available from http://www.allapi.net. I personally prefer using their API-Guide, which includes descriptions and samples for using the API calls.
    Charlotte

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for that link. I hadn't seen that particular version, although I used to converse with its author a few years back on the sorts of issues that help file is intended to address. It's not so relevant to VBA, which is not stuck with the sorts of limitations of WinHelp or the old WordBasic:<blockquote><hr>
    The sole aim of this file is to provide a quick and dirty means of finding a corresponding RegisterRoutine declaration to common Win32 API functions. This work is derived from WIN32API.TXT, a file distributed by Microsoft for use of Win32 API calls in WordBasic. Since WordBasic has similar limitations to WinHelp (i.e. inability to use structures and types, etc.) it seemed like a good starting place...

Copied from "The WinHelp Developer's Guide to the Win32 API",

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you Charlotte. This is a wonderful little application and an excellent site generally... can't understand how I hadn't stumbled across it before.

Alan

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I use it a lot, but it is no longer being updated because of the move to .Net and Windows 2003.
    Charlotte

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I use an incarnation that's in the form of a standalone .HLP file (don't know its source, sorry) so can't comment on the add-in you mention. But the Using the WinAPI Viewer Application Microsoft Office 2000 Developer link might be of some help.

Alan

Edited - The help file I use is win32s.hlp which comes with various Borland packages. Although it appears that some of these are free to download, I've not seen a downloadable version of this file in isolation. It's a 24MB job too, BTW.