Thread: Merges (XP)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Merges (XP)

Can anyone lead me to some easy to understand Word merge instructions? I have used the merge function for years without any problem. Suddenly with XP everything has gone "ka-fooey"! I did a merge letter using Word and an Access query - worked OK once I got around all the differences between XP and 2000. Then I went in and changed the query to pick up some different names for the letter. Nothing different or fancy about what I did but when I went back to the letter, none of the names from the database showed up in the merge letter and no matter what I did, I could not fix it. I finally brought it all home and used Word and Access 2000 to get it done!

Thanks in advance

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Merges (XP)

The changes to MailMerge for Word 2002 have confounded lots of people! The most fundamental change (aside from the wizard) was to switch to OLE DB as the access method when dealing with a database as the data source. However you can change that to use ODBC or DDE. You might find <!mskb=320476>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 320476<!/mskb> and some of the other referenced articles on the MSKB to be useful.
    Wendell